Ned Flanders begins dating Mrs. Krabappel after saving her from a prank gone bad — until Flanders realizes that Mrs. Krabappel has left a trail of tears behind her from the men she dated before (including Aerosmith drummer, Joey Kramer).
- Everyone Has Standards: The school was appalled after Edna slaps Bart, even Skinner.
Seymour Skinner: Edna, we can tolerate mild alcoholism, leaving melted cheese in the microwave, even selling A’s for cigarettes. But, laying a hand on a student, you have crossed the line. (To, Lunch Lady Doris) Nurse, get a slap kit
- Ironically, in Two Bad Neighbors, Homer was upset note when George Bush does the same thing on Bart, yet he supports Edna.
- Flippant Forgiveness: Homer convinces Ned that Edna's previous sexual encounters should not break Ned and Edna up when they were such a perfect couple. Ned invites Edna over to his place to apologize for freaking out, and then announces his forgiveness. They come down to a Make Up or Break Up and...that's the end of the season. The viewers vote for which happens. The viewers voted that they should stay together.
- Loophole Abuse: Ned told Edna that he and Maude had a Doctor named Stork help with the births of Rod and Todd so technically they'd be able to tell the kids a "stork" brought them to the world without it being a lie.
- Wicked Stepmother: Bart planned to trick Ned's sons into thinking Mrs. Krabappel would be this to them.