Recap / The Simpsons S 18 E 15 Rome Old And Juli Eh
Abe and Selma get married after Abe is kicked out of the retirement home due to Homer declaring bankruptcy (unaware that bankruptcy laws have changed). Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa wage war against a delivery company over boxes.
- Age Gap Romance: The episode evolves around the romance and marriage of Abe Simpson and Selma Bouvier, their ages separated by nearly four decades (she was in her forties, he was in his eighties). Their marriage didn't work out, due to Abe's senility leading to the ruination of their kitchen and Selma finding her new job as a department manager too stressful.
- House Husband: Initially, Abe wanted Selma to be a House Wife while he worked but his plans depended on him regaining his job at the now defunct PanAm so he tried to become the trope. Well, he tried.
- Men Can't Keep House: Abe, albeit it's implied that, in his case, it's not because he's a man but because he's senile and out of touch with modern life.
- Off-Model: The initial airing of this episode had some questionable animation in a few scenes. When the episode re-ran, these moments were cleaned up.
- Reality Ensues: The result of Homer's attempt to make his car work the Flintstone way.
- Scatterbrained Senior: Taken Up to Eleven in two scenes:
- When Grampa and Selma are on their honeymoon, Grampa abruptly says, "I thought we were at the circus, Lisa!"
- When Grampa is left home alone with Selma's daughter, he makes a mess of the kitchen by mixing up what the appliances do. For example, he sticks a VHS tape in the microwave and sets it for a "running time" of two hours.