- Absurdly High-Stakes Game: Burns and the Rich Texan waged their whole estates.
- Another Story for Another Time: During Homer's confession of the real reason he brought the family to the cavern, he claims he needed money for Bart's operation. At this point, Bart interrupts to ask about the operation, and Homer responds, "That's a story for another day."
- Bring My Brown Pants: When Homer first got stuck in the cavern.Homer: I'm stuck and I have to pee! (beat) Now, I'm just stuck.
- Fallen-on-Hard-Times Job: Mr. Burns working at Moe's. Burns actually considered it as a way to get up to zero.
- Go Through Me: Mr. Burns pulls this in order to protect Lisa from a goat.
- Pet the Dog: Burns protecting Lisa.
- Something Completely Different: A Nested Stories-meets-The Rashomon style story
- Twist Ending: It turns out the entire episode is Bart's explanation to Principal Skinner why he didn't have time to study for his geography test.