- Hope Spot: Lisa's All Just a Dream where everyone manages to save the whale. When she finds out it wasn't, she instead finds the whale dead and she silently sobs at its demise.
- Idea Bulb: Itchy had one and broke it so he could use it to stab Scratchy.
- Na´ve Animal Lover: After failing to save a beached whale, Lisa tries to save its pod of offspring from a group of sharks. But then she learns An Aesop that sharks need to live too, and in order to live they eat other animals - such as baby whales.
- Of Corsets Funny: Comic Book Guy buys a corset he claims makes him look like William Shatner from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Little by little the corset gives way, making him look like Shatner from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek: Generations, and once it breaks entirely, Boston Legal.
- Shout-Out: The Itchy and Scratchy episode the Simpsons were watching was a parody of House.
- Write What You Know: The story was based on an event from Matt Groening's childhood. A dead whale washed up on shore in Groening's home town and its carcass had to be blown up with dynamite, the same way the whale in the episode was.