- Big Damn Heroes: Bluella's mate shows up to save Homer from being attacked by sharks.
- Comically Missing the Point: After Homer falls in the water, Lisa states that the sharks are mistaking him for another baby whale due to his size. Homer's response?Homer: Ooh, a baby whale! My diet is working!
- From Bad to Worse: Homer accidentally falls overboard into shark-infested waters, and the sharks take notice of him due to his fat. Two eco-activists toss him a pail for chasing away the sharks, but it hits his head causing him to bleed...and attracting even more sharks.
- Hope Spot: Lisa's All Just a Dream where everyone manages to save the whale. When she finds out it wasn't, she instead finds the whale dead and she silently sobs at its demise.
- Idea Bulb: Itchy had one and broke it so he could use it to stab Scratchy.
- Na´ve Animal Lover: After failing to save a beached whale, Lisa tries to save its pod of offspring from a group of sharks. But then she learns An Aesop that sharks need to live too, and in order to live they eat other animals - such as baby whales.
- Of Corsets Funny: Comic Book Guy buys a corset he claims makes him look like William Shatner from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Little by little the corset gives way, making him look like Shatner from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek: Generations, and once it breaks entirely, Boston Legal.
- Shout-Out: The Itchy and Scratchy episode the Simpsons were watching was a parody of House.
- Threatening Shark: Deconstructed. Sharks are the main threat at the climax of the episode, threatening to eat baby whales (and Homer), but they're only doing this because they're predators. The eco-activists even stop Homer from harpooning the sharks, pointing out sharks are threatened due to being hunted to make shark-fin soup (which is, unfortunately, Truth in Television).