- Idea Bulb: Itchy had one and broke it so he could use it to stab Scratchy.
- Naive Animal Lover: After failing to save a beached whale, Lisa tries to save its pod of offspring from a group of sharks. But then she learns An Aesop that sharks need to live too, and in order to live they eat other animals - such as baby whales.
- Of Corsets Funny: Comic Book Guy buys a corset he claims makes him look like William Shatner from Star Trek The Motion Picture. Little by little the corset gives way, making him look like Shatner from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek: Generations, and once it breaks entirely, Boston Legal.
- Shout-Out: The Itchy and Scratchy episode the Simpsons were watching was a parody of House.
- Write What You Know: The story was based on an event from Matt Groening's childhood. A dead whale washed up on shore in Groening's home town and its carcass had to be blown up with dynamite, the same way the whale in the episode was.