Recap / The Simpsons S 21 E 20 To Surveil With Love
After a radiation scare due to Homer's usual brand of idiocy, Springfield is placed under closed-circuit TV surveillance but has a group of civilian control, which includes Flanders. At the same time, Lisa is forced to dye her hair brown after being called out for not being a Dumb Blonde
Tropes of this episode: (YMMV Here)
- Adults Are Useless: With the exceptions of Ned and Marge, pretty much not a lot of dont listen to Lisa because she’s a blonde. Despite near everyone in Springfield knowing that Lisa is a genius.
- Expy: That bomb squad specialist is clearly based on Clint Eastwood
- Big Brother Is Watching You: Ned Flanders
- Call Back: Prince Charles tells Queen Elizabeth II that "My cat's breath smells like cat food". This line was also said by Ralph Wiggum in "Lisa's Rival". Prince Charles says the line right after the Queen comments that Ralph reminds her of him.
- Comically Missing the Point: Abe pretty doesn’t help Lisa
- Genius Ditz: Bart maybe a rebellious student, but he did find a blind spot... the Simpsons’ backyard
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Nelson is like this to Lisa
- Playing God: Homer claims that Ned trying to control the whole towns actions came off as him trying to be God. This horrifies Ned.
- Police Are Useless: At least we found out who can do better than Wiggum
Lou: Uh, Chief, I Think we got a misuse of police equipment on ZZ-99.
(Wiggum looks, before switching the cameras back to normal after looking at Edna sunbathing topless.)
Chief Wiggum: Killjoy
- The Reveal: The entire episode — at least the main story — is a hidden-camera reality show that airs on British TV and is considered the Queen's and Prince Charles' favorite show.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: That bomb squad specialist decides to break up the plutonium rather than do the countdown
- Shout-Out: The Gay Bar is full with Sesame Street like people
- Something Completely Different: As part of FOX's "FOX Rocks" gimmick at the time, the opening for this episode was redone as an animated music video for the Ke$ha song "TiK ToK.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Where did the Van Houtens, Helen Lovejoy, Julius Hibbert, and Elizabeth Hoover go after Ned Flanders and Marge Simpson took over with cameras?