Recap: The Simpsons S 21 E 20 To Surveil With Love
After a radiation scare due to Homer's usual brand of idiocy, Springfield is placed under closed-circuit TV surveillance but has a group of civilian control, which includes Flanders. At the same time, Lisa is forced to dye her hair brown after being called out for not being a Dumb Blonde
Tropes of this episode: (YMMV Here)
- Adults Are Useless: With the exceptions of Ned and Marge, pretty much not a lot of dont listen to Lisa because she’s a blonde. Despite near everyone in Springfield knowing that Lisa is a genius.
- Expy: That bomb squad specialist is clearly based on Clint Eastwood
- Big Brother Is Watching You: Ned Flanders
- Call Back: Prince Charles tells Queen Elizabeth II that "My cat's breath smells like cat food". This line was also said by Ralph Wiggum in "Lisa's Rival".
- Comically Missing the Point: Abe pretty doesn’t help Lisa
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Nelson is like this to Lisa
- Genius Ditz: Bart maybe a rebellious student, but he did find a blind spot... the Simpsons’ backyard
- Playing God: Homer claims that Ned trying to control the whole towns actions came off as him trying to be God. This horrifies Ned.
- Police Are Useless: At least we found out who can do better than Wiggum
- Lou: Uh, Chief, I Think we got a misuse of police equipment on ZZ-99.(Wiggum looks, before switching the cameras back to normal after looking at Edna sunbathing topless.)Chief Wiggum: Killjoy
- The Reveal: The entire episode — at least the main story — is a hidden-camera reality show that airs on British TV and is considered the Queen's and Prince Charles' favorite show.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: That bomb squad specialist decides to break up the plutonium rather than do the countdown
- Shout-Out: The Gay Bar is full with Sesame Street like people
- Something Completely Different: As part of FOX's "FOX Rocks" gimmick at the time, the opening for this episode was redone as an animated music video for the Ke$ha song "TiK ToK.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Where did the Van Houtens, Helen Lovejoy, Julius Hibbert, and Elizabeth Hoover go after Ned Flanders and Marge Simpson took over with cameras?