Recap: The Simpsons S 20 E 8 The Burns And The Bees
Mr. Burns decides to build a basketball stadium over a bee sanctuary — one that Lisa wants to preserve now that honeybees are becoming extinct.
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game: Mr. Burns waged Smithers on the bet where he got the basketball team.
- Alliterative Name: Aaron Ableman
- Artistic License – Sports: It looks like Burns relocates the Celtics to Springfield in the middle of the season so he doesn't have to constantly travel to Austin. In real life, Burns would have to move the team after the season ended. Only in an emergency could a team move to a different city during the season, such as when Hurricane Katrina forced the New Orleans Saints to play their home games for the 2005 season at LSU's football stadium in Baton Rouge, and the Alamodome in San Antonio (their first home game, against the New York Giants, had to be moved to Giants Stadium in New Jersey on short notice). The city's NBA team, the New Orleans Hornets, had to spend two seasons in Oklahoma City, even calling themselves the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. The hurricane, though, took place before NBA training camp, meaning the Hornets' temporary relocation still took place before the season actually started, whereas the NFL preseason was reaching its end when the storm struck.
- The Cameo: Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos and sportscaster Marv Albert.
- Disco Dan: Mr. Burns attempts to sing the national anthem at the Excitement's first home game in the new arena. According to him, the lyrics are, "My country, 'tis of thee/Austria-Hungary, obey your king". Smithers interrupts to tell Mr. Burns that Archduke Franz Ferdinand had died, and what happened afterward. Burns has lived nearly a full-century on the planet, and had no idea that either World War had taken place.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Burns would rather be killed than sent to Millionaire's camp.
- Special Edition Title: As they couldn't make a Christmas Episode this season, the staff made due by making the opening Christmas related.
- Special Guest: Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.
- Writing Around Trademarks: The professional basketball team that The Rich Texan loses to Mr. Burns in the poker game is conveniently called the Austin Celtics. The team's logo◊ is slightly tweaked from that of its real-world counterpart. Of course, Burns subsequently relocates the team to Springfield, and renames them the Excitement.