Recap: The Simpsons S 20 E 7 Mypods And Boomsticks
Bart befriends a Muslim boy named Bashir, but Homer suspects Bashir and his family to be terrorists. Meanwhile, Lisa buys a Mapple MyPod and runs up a $1200 bill from downloading songs.
This episode contains examples of: (YMMV Examples here)
- Bland-Name Product: The "Mapple" Bar with its MyPods and MyPhones.
- Casting Gag: In Homer's fearful nightmare following his suspicions of Bashir's family, Genie appears and transforms Springfield into a stereotypical Muslim caricature. Homer's voice actor Dan Castellaneta was the replacement voice for Robin Williams' Genie in The Return of Jafar, the Aladdin animated TV show, and the Kingdom Hearts video game series.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Homer sees it in a 24 parody.
- Jury Duty: Moe made up a religion to get out of this duty.
- Lampshade Hanging: When Homer screams during his nightmare and doesn't wake up right after that, he comments that's usually during the scream moment that people wake up from dreams.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: The source of conflict when Homer assumes that Bashir's father is a terrorist
- My God, What Have I Done?: The episode's Itchy and Scratchy segment "diePod Slaylist" features Scratchy feeling guilty over having tested the atomic bomb. He goes in a time machine to stop himself but gets killed by Itchy planting a bomb in his past self's body
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Homer tries to move the bombs under the belief that Bashir's father is plotting to suicide bomb the Springfield Mall but instead ends up blowing up the bridge leading to the Duff Brewery.
- Scam Religion: Apparently Moe started one to get out of jury duty much to Kearney's disdain
- Shout-Out: The title is a reference to Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- When Bart makes it seem Steve Mobs is insulting his clients, Comic Book Guy charges and swings a sledgehammer at the screen akin to the "1984" Apple commercial.
- During the dream where Genie transforms Springfield, a music store is changed to only have aisles of CDs by Cat Stevens (though ever since his conversion to Islam, he now goes by Yusuf).
- Unfortunate Names: Bashir's last name is Bin Laden.
- What the Hell, Hero?: To a point, as Homer was perfectly tolerant of Bashir and his family until Moe and his friends basically told him to be intolerant and jingoistic for no reason at all (other than the fact that what they believe about Muslims is a reflection of what most people believe about Muslims in Real Life, especially in a post-9/11 world). Homer's actions also merit this.
- Work Off the Debt: Lisa working to pay for her "MyBill"