Ralph is chosen as the Presidential candidate for 2008 after the town tires of the media hype about the elections and the empty promises from other candidates.
- Ascended Meme: Apparently. Homer smokes "Jerkass Homer Cigars." "Jerkass Homer" is the nickname given by some fans of the show to Homer's callous, brash, rude, childish personality during the show's 9th to 12th seasons (and one of many reasons those fans attribute to why The Simpsons' quality has fallen in the later years).
- Attack of the Political Ad: The episode closes with a campaign ad for Ralph.Ralph: (sitting on the lap of the Lincoln Memorial) I want a tricycle, a dog who won't chew my Hot Wheels and a brighter future for America. I'm Ralph Wiggum and I've been a good boy.
- Call-Back: Lisa mentioned she and Ralph once dated.
- Hand Wave: Lisa points out that Ralph isn't old enough to run for office, but Bart says the Patriot Act killed the Constitution.
- Imagine Spot: Subverted for laughs—Homer imagines what a "think tank" is like...and it turns out that his interpretation is perfectly accurate, much to the surprise of everyone else.Homer: What, I can't get one right?
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: To force a man to stop a conversation with Mr. Burns (It Makes Sense in Context), Homer phoned the man claiming to have abducted the man's wife or, if the man doesn't have a wife, his brother. Then he said if the man obeyed all instructions his dog would be free.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Homer about his candidate of choice after hearing that candidate appeared in the same issue of The New York Times that a terrorist did.
- Special Guest: Jon Stewart as himself. Also, legendary CBS Evening News anchor Dan Rather.
- Springtime for Hitler: The Springfielders chose Ralph in a failed attempt to rid themselves of the media hype.
- The Chessmaster: Ralph Wiggum believe it or not. He intentionally tricks the Republicans and Democrats into working together to sponsor him for presidency, all the while acting like he knows nothing about whats going on.
- Wham Line: When Lisa tells Ralph that everyone advocating him as a presidential candidate is playing him for a fool, he basically responds by telling her that it's the other way around.Lisa: They just wanna use you!
Ralph: (cheerfully) Maybe I wanna use them.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: As the reporters are clearing out of New Hampshire to go cover Springfield's primary:Man: To Springfield!
Woman: Which Springfield?
Man: The one the Simpsons live in!