Recap / The Simpsons S 17 E 11 Were On The Road To Dohwhere
Bart gets in trouble for setting off the steam pipes in the school. The punishment: time in a behavioral modification camp in Oregon. Unfortunately, Bart has been put on the "No Fly" list after unbuckling his seat belt before the plane to Atlanta could land, so Homer must sacrifice his Vegas trip (funded by Moe, who won a settlement from a company that makes the faulty rope he recently used in a suicide attempt) to take Bart to the camp. Meanwhile, Marge and Lisa clean house and hold a garage sale — and Marge inadvertently becomes a drug dealer when everyone begins buying the family's expired medication.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Because of Bart unbuckling his seatbelt before his plane in Atlanta came to a complete stop, the pilot flew the plane back to Minneapolis before anyone could get off.
- Don't Explain the Joke: Combined with Lampshade The Obscure Reference.
Chief Wiggum: Save it, Ma Peddle.
Lou: Ma Peddle?
Chief Wiggum: It's a reference to Ma Kettle, a movie character from the 1940s.
Lou: Chief, if you have to explain it, it's not very good.
- Downer Ending and No Ending: Marge is arrested for selling drugs and is being held in prison with $10,000 bail, while Homer took Bart to Vegas and is now in Nevada State Prison after getting into a fight with a pit boss while Bart ends up missing. Lisa and Maggie are the only ones left to fend for themselves and the episode ends with Lisa vowing to look for work in the morning. Fortunately, everything is back to normal by the beginning of the next episode.
- Frivolous Lawsuit: Moe sues a company that made a rope that broke when he was trying to hang himself.
- Ghost in the Machine: We go inside Homer's head to see that the harsh and militaristic Serious Homer has locked up drunk, crazy Fun Homer and murdered Intellectual Homer (which is one of many, many reasons why Homer is an idiot).
- Gory Discretion Shot: While driving back to get Bart from the camp, we hear a loud thud followed by Homer screaming "Stupid horse! The sign says deer crossing!" and then the windshield of his car with streaks of blood on it.
- Jerkass/Troll: Bart throughout much of the episode.
- Mood-Swinger: Boy, does Bart have fun with this.
- Oh, Crap!:
- When Marge tells someone on the other end of her door that she's out of drugs to sell, she has this reaction when she sees that Chief Wiggum is on the other side.
- Also see Skyward Scream below.
- Overly Long Gag: Ned singing all the colors in the theme to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. To make it more excruciating, as he reaches the last color, he starts at the beginning again!
- Persona Non Grata: Bart's on the airport's 'No Fly' list because he unbuckled his seatbelt.
- Skyward Scream: Homer does a skyward "D'oh!" when he realizes he has to sacrifice his trip to Las Vegas to drive Bart to a boys camp. His friends hear it from the other side of town and get the hint that Homer's not coming with them.