Recap: Teen Titans S 5 E 8 Lightspeed
"We're the Hive Five, and this is our show now!"
The Hive Five is robbing the Jump City museum when a mysterious hero stops them. Who could he be? Where did he come from? And why won't he go away?!
- Action Girl: The episode that marks Jinx's Heel-Face Turn.
- Ambition Is Evil: Inverted. Jinx becomes good because she is ambitious while the rest of her teammates stay evil because they aren't.
- Anti-Villain: Jinx and See-More are Type I.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Gizmo: We got multiple targets: an armored car on Main, three jewelry stores, and a taco stand.
Mammoth: Ooh, I'll take that one.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Jinx leads the team. She's also the most competent member.
- Awesome McCoolname: Why the Hive Five isn't called the Hive Six.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Jinx believes this. Eventually subverted.
- Badass in Distress: Kid Flash has a much harder time against Madame Rouge than he does with the Hive Five. Jinx also successfully captures him with Gizmo and See-More's help.
- The Baroness: Madame Rouge. Jinx very badly wants to be one.
- Blow You Away: Kid Flash can make tornadoes just by running fast in a circle.
- Bluff The Imposter: Inverted. Rouge draws Kid Flash in by impersonating Jinx. Justified in that he didn't even know Rouge was in town.
- Cardboard Prison: Note: a steel cage only keeps a speedster from escaping if he thinks his guards are amusing. The second one, not so much.
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: Played with. Jinx complains about no one taking the Hive seriously or anyone trying to get in the Brotherhood of Evil's evil graces. Billy Numerous, Gizmo and even Kid Flash all ask her why she would even want to... which becomes ironic because Billy and Gizmo DO join the Brotherhood of Evil.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Kid Flash runs rampant in the Hive's base and while they do succeed in catching him, he eventually escapes. Easily.
- On the receiving end against Rouge until Jinx shows up.
- Dark Action Girl: Jinx and Madame Rouge.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Kid Flash believes this and by the end of the episode, so does Jinx.
- Dating Catwoman
- Deadly Dodging: Kid Flash does some of this with Jinx's hexes while in her room, much to her aggravation.
- The Dog Bites Back: Jinx eventually gets tired of Rouge's "Better than You" attitude and sets Kid Flash free and then blasts her when Rouge decides to attack Jinx in revenge.
- Dumb Muscle: Mammoth was distracted from chasing down KF by a pie. On a television. Screen.
- Evil Genius: Despite his bitching, Gizmo manages to make a highly complex containment device to use against Kid Flash in a short amount of time in a busted up workshop.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Fridge Logic: Invoked when Kid Flash asks about the team's name.
Kid Flash: Wait wait wait. If you're called the "H.I.V.E. Five", how come there are six of you?
See-More: (uncertain)...'Cause.....it sounds...c-cooler?
- The Gadfly: Kid Flash. He steals Mammoth's candy bar... that Mammoth actually paid for. He also eats Mammoth's sandwich and asks Jinx where they keep the mustard.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Mammoth's is white with red cherries.
- Hero Antagonist: Kid Flash.
- High Heel-Face Turn: Jinx changes sides after finding out what Rouge is really like.
- Hostile Show Takeover: The Hive Five make it very clear that they are the protagonists of this episode.
- Irony: Lots of it through out the episode:
- Billy and Gizmo try to discourage Jinx from trying to join the Brotherhood of Evil. They and most of their teammates ultimately DO join.
- Kid Flash takes a candy bar from Mammoth when he's stopping the HIVE Five from robbing the city... but (as Mammoth shouts when he realizes what happened), Mammoth actually PAID for it!
- Jinx laughs about Kid Flash trying to "convert her to the side of good." He does.
- Jinx spends most of the episode kissing up to Madame Rouge and trying to impress her. She fails to do so. What does earn Jinx Rouge's actual respect? Rescuing the good guy and attacking her in retaliation.
- The Knights Who Say Squee: Jinx to Rouge.
- Mythology Gag / Freeze-Frame Bonus: The candy bar that Kid Flash steals off Mammoth just happens to be a Lightspeed Energy Bar.
- Pick on Someone Your Own Size: Rouge versus Kid Flash and Jinx.
- The Quiet One: Kyd Wykkyd
- Shout-Out: "Where will I go? What will I do?"
- Something Only They Would Say: After being chased all around town by Madame Rouge, Kid Flash asks Jinx to prove her identity. She blasts him.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Someone needs to put a bell on Kyd Wykkyd.
- Super Speed: Kid Flash, of course.
- Villain Episode
- Villain Protagonist: The Hive Five. Made very clear in the opening credits.
- Villainous Rescue: Jinx refusing to hand Kid Flash over to Madame Rouge and destroying the device keeping him contained.
- Villains Out Shopping: And playing video games and building pillow forts, eating candy...
- What Happened to the Mouse?: So we're shown See-More and Kyd Wykkyd taking down the aforementioned armored car, but instead of the three jewelry stores and taco stand, we see Billy Numerous wreaking havoc at a hockey game, Gizmo looting an electronics store, and Mammoth buying an energy bar. Perhaps they got sidetracked?