Season 5, Episode 3
Free To Be You And Me
Not sure he trusts himself anymore, Sam decides to give up hunting and live a "normal" life. At night, his dead girlfriend Jessica visits him and tells him that people can never change despite their efforts. Dean, intent on stopping the Apocalypse, continues hunting on his own and teams up with Castiel to find the Archangel Raphael, as Castiel believes Raphael knows Godís location. They find Raphael's vessel and lure him out, but are no closer to finding God's location. Raphael even claims that God is dead. After fighting off fellow hunters who wanted him to drink demon blood in order to exorcise some demons, Sam gets another late-night visit from Jessica, who turns out to be Lucifer disguising himself as Sam's deceased girlfriend all along. He says that Nick's body was just Plan B, and that his true vessel is supposed to be Sam. He is convinced that eventually, without any trickery or lies, Sam will agree to be his vessel, although Sam adamantly disagrees.
For this episode = 1 human and 1 vampire.
For the series so far = At least 306 humans (of which 5 were witches), at least 82 demons, 28 ghosts, 11 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 4 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- Achilles in His Tent: Sam, for this and the next episode.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Except he is. Dean is appalled.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Big Blackout
Dean: I thought you were supposed to be impressive. All you do is black out the room?
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Sam retires into some no name bar and is tracked down by hunters and Lucifer.
- Can Not Tell A Lie: Despite Dean's best efforts, Cas doesn't lie to the police officer. It causes some problems when he starts talking about angels and demons.
- Contrast Montage: Sam burning all of his fake ID's while Dean is still using his; Sam slices a lemon and Dean slices through a vampire; Sam washes down the bar at work while Dean washes the blood off his car.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: An In-Universe example with Dean laughing over Castiel's antics in the brothel — he admits he hasn't laughed that much in years.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Lucifer appears in Sam's dreams as Jess. It's pretty much the guy's MO.
- Den of Iniquity: As a direct result of the above, Dean takes Cas to a brothel.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Raphael is not to be trifled with.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Castiel does this by catching and questioning Raphael, the archangel who previously killed him, and later leaving him trapped in holy fire.
Raphael: "Castiel. Do not leave me here. I will find you"
Dean: "What he said."
- Dramatic Thunder: A staple of Raphael. His presence also causes a massive storm.
- God Is Dead: Raphael tells Cas that this is why things have been so bad in the past century.
- Impersonating an Officer: Dean and Castiel pretend to be FBI agents. Castiel's impersonation could use some improvement.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Cas downs half a glass of beer on meeting the inappropriately-named Chastity.
- Last Day to Live
- Mirror Scare: Dean turns around to wash his coat, looks up and sees Cas.
- No, Except Yes: Cas does this multiple times throughout the episode.
Looking at Raphael's catatonic vessel
Dean: So this is what I'm looking at if Michael jumps my bones?
Castiel: No, not at all....It will be far worse for you.
- Nonindicative Name: A prostitute with the entirely inappropriate name of Chastity. She herself might have been invoking this, seeing as she was wearing a virgin-white outfit.
- No Sense of Personal Space
Dean: Cas, we've talked about this. Personal Space.
Castiel: My apologies. (steps about an inch back)
- Parental Abandonment: A recurring theme.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Castiel's look of terror when facing the prospect of sleeping with a prostitute.
- A Riddle Wrapped In A Mystery Inside A Taco
- Shout Out: When Sam is scrolling through his phone, you can see the contact names Adele, Butcher, and Cassidy.
- Empty Shell: Raphael's possession leaves his vessel drooling and in a wheelchair.
- Ring of Fire: Rings of holy fire are used to trap angels.
- Spiteful Spit
- Take That: "Eat it, Twilight!"
- Teleportation Sickness: Last time Cas teleported Dean he "couldn't poop for a week".
- The Reveal: Sam is Lucifer's vessel
- Unusual Euphemism: "Cloud seeding"
- We Will Meet Again