Recap: Supernatural S 05 E 03 Free To Be You And Me
Recap of Supernatural Season 5, Episode 3
Free To Be You And Me
Written by Jeremy Carver.
Directed by J. Miller Tobin.
Air Date: September 24, 2009.
Not sure he trusts himself anymore, Sam decides to give up hunting and live a "normal" life. At night, his dead girlfriend Jessica visits him and tells him that people can never change despite their efforts. Dean, intent on stopping the Apocalypse, continues hunting on his own and teams up with Castiel to find the archangel Raphael, as Castiel believes Raphael knows God's location. They find Raphael's vessel and lure him out, but are no closer to finding God, as Raphael believes God is dead. After fighting off fellow hunters who wanted him to drink demon blood in order to exorcise some demons, Sam gets another late-night visit from Jessica, who turns out to be Lucifer disguised as Sam's deceased girlfriend. He says that Nick's body was just Plan B, and that his True Vessel is Sam. He is convinced that, eventually, without any trickery or lies, Sam will agree to be his vessel, although Sam adamantly disagrees.
For this episode = 1 human and 1 vampire.
For the series so far = At least 306 humans (of which 5 were witches), at least 82 demons, 28 ghosts, 11 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 4 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- Achilles in His Tent: Sam, for this and the next episode.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Except he is. Dean is appalled.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Big Blackout
Dean: I thought you were supposed to be impressive. All you do is black out the room?
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Sam retires to work at some no-name bar and is tracked down by hunters and Lucifer.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Despite Dean's best efforts, Cas doesn't lie to the police officer. It causes some problems when he starts talking about angels and demons.
- Contrast Montage: Sam burns his fake IDs and Dean still uses his; Sam slices up a lemon and Dean slices up a vampire; Sam washes down the bar after work and Dean washes the blood off his car after work.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: An In-Universe example with Dean laughing over Castiel's antics in the brothel—he admits he hasn't laughed that much in years.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Lucifer appears in Sam's dreams as Jess. It's pretty much the guy's MO—he talked to Nick this way, too, looking like Nick's dead wife.
- Death Glare: Raphael throws one at Dean after being trapped in the holy fire.
Dean: Don't look at me, it was his idea.
- Den of Iniquity: As a direct result of the above, Dean takes Cas to a brothel.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Raphael is not to be trifled with.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Castiel does this by catching and questioning Raphael, the archangel who previously killed him, and later leaving him trapped in holy fire.
Raphael: Castiel. Do not leave me here. I will find you.
Dean: What he said.
- Disappeared Dad: Chastity
Dean: This whole industry runs on absent fathers — it's the natural order.
- Dramatic Thunder: A staple of Raphael. His presence also causes a massive storm.
- Empty Shell: Raphael's possession leaves his vessel drooling and in a wheelchair.
- God Is Dead: Raphael tells Cas that this is why things have been so bad in the past century.
Raphael: Do you remember the twentieth century? Think the twenty-first is going any better? Do you think God would have let any of that happen if he were alive?
- Impersonating an Officer: Dean and Castiel pretend to be FBI agents. Castiel's impersonation...could use some improvement.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Cas downs half a glass of beer on meeting the inappropriately-named Chastity.
- Last Day to Live
- Mirror Scare: Dean turns to wash his coat, looks up, and sees Cas.
- No, Except Yes: Cas does this multiple times throughout the episode.
[looking at Raphael's catatonic vessel]
Dean: So, this is what I'm looking at if Michael jumps my bones?
Castiel: No, not at all. Michael is much more powerful. It will be far worse for you.
[later, talking about trapping Raphael]
Dean: You keep saying we're gonna trap this guy. Isn't that kinda like trapping a hurricane with a butterfly net?
Castiel: No, it's harder.
- Non Indicative Name: A prostitute with the entirely inappropriate name of Chastity. She herself might have been invoking this, seeing as she was wearing a virgin-white outfit.
- No Sense of Personal Space
Dean: Cas, we've talked about this. Personal space.
Castiel: My apologies. [steps back about three inches]
- Parental Abandonment: A recurring theme.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Castiel's look of terror when facing the prospect of sleeping with a prostitute.
- A Riddle Wrapped In A Mystery Inside A Taco
- Shout-Out: When Sam is scrolling through his phone, you can see the contact names Adele, Butcher, and Cassidy.
- Ring of Fire: Rings of holy fire are used to trap angels.
- Spiteful Spit
- Take That: "Eat it, Twilight!"
- Teleportation Sickness: Last time Cas teleported Dean he "didn't poop for a week".
- The Reveal: Sam is Lucifer's True Vessel.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Cloud seeding".
- We Will Meet Again