Season 3, Episode 1
The Magnificient Seven
When the Devil's Gate opened at the end of the previous season, hundreds of demons were released. Sam and Dean team up with a few other hunters to fight off the Seven Deadly Sins.
For this episode = 4 humans and 7 demons.
For the series so far = At least 200 humans, 15 ghosts, 5 vampires, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 9 demons, 1 djinn, 1 god, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, and 1 zombie.
- Action Girl:
- Tamara counts, by default as a female hunter. She proves to be pretty formidable when she's angry when she attacks and overpowers Wrath itself, keeping it pinned down long enough for Bobby to exorcise later that night.
- The blonde may or may not be a hunter (it's a little unclear at this point, though she seems to be one) but she she definitely not someone you want to pick a fight with unless you want a knife in your throat. Dean jokes that she fights even better than Sam, as she takes on and kills three powerful demons in under a minute.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Seven Deadly Sins are actual living demons that both embody their respective sins and kill humans through it.
- Bad-Guy Bar: Too bad Isaac and Tamara don't realize it until it's too late.
- Battle Couple: Husband-and-wife hunting duo Isaac and Tamara.
- Boyish Short Hair: Tamara's do is a lot more sensible for asskicking than some of the other ladies' on the show.
- Brain Bleach: Sam asks Dean for a knife to gouge his eyes out after he walks in on his brother having sex.
- Compelling Voice: The demons use this to make people kill themselves or others, although it's more of a Compelling Touch.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Wrath possesses Isaac's corpse to mess with Tamara.
- Depraved Bisexual: Lust makes her interest in both Dean and Tamara obvious. Considering the Seven Deadly Sins' modus operandi, it's probably for the best that she never actually gets to have sex with either of them.
- Deus ex Machina: The mysterious blonde shows up to save Sam's ass from getting choked to death.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Did that girl just kill the Anthropomorphic Personifications of Pride, Gluttony, and Greed?
- Driven to Suicide: Isaac. The family the hunters find as rotted corpses might also be an example: they sat down in front of the TV and never bothered to get up again, eventually dying of starvation when they had a fully-stocked kitchen over in the next room.
- Dynamic Entry: The blonde woman bursts in, slashes demon throats, banters with Sam, and walks out.
- Establishing Character Moment: The blonde telling Sam that she's "the girl who just saved your ass" after charging in with her demon-killing knife. We later find out that that's pretty par the course with Ruby.
- Evil Laugh: All of the sins start laughing wildly when Isaac kills himself. It's pretty disturbing to watch.
- Evil Is Sexy: Lust.
- Fanservice: Dean's shirtless scene at the beginning of the episode. It was definitely Fan Disservice for Sam, though.
- Forced to Watch: The sins hold a helpless, screaming Tamara still as she watches her Mind Raped husband chug drain cleaner and cough up his liquefied organs.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Tamara is Lisa (Ianto's girlfriend) from Torchwood.
- Like You Were Dying: Dean has a year to live, and intends to use it.
- Manipulative Bastard: Dean uses his upcoming damnation to get what he wants out of Sam.
- Mysterious Stranger: The blonde girl, who appears briefly when she starts following Sam around and vanishes into thin air when he turns to see who's behind him. She also arrives and saves him in the episode climax. Adding to the mystery is that she knows who Sam is even though he doesn't know who she is, that demons recognize her, and that she has a knife that can kill demons—and she knows how to use it, as demonstrated when she kills three of the Seven Deadly Sins.
- Primal Scene: Sam walking in on Dean having sex is played exactly like if Dean was his father.
- Seven Deadly Sins
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: Wrath possessing Isaac gives one to Tamara when he blamed her for their daughter's death.
- Smug Snake: Pride. Dur.
- Stalker with a Crush / Stalker Without A Crush: The blonde girl secretly follows Sam on the sidewalk and to the house they're fighting the demons at, taking care to get out of sight when he sense someone tailing him and turns around to check. Whether she has any feelings for him is not touched upon.