Recap: Superman The Animated Series S 3 E 5 Little Big Head Man
Bizarro is content "protecting" his own "town" on a deserted planet - until Mr. Mxyzptlk turns up. The imp claims that Superman sent him there out of jealousy and really despises him. Then he sends the enraged clone back to Earth and follows him to watch the fun. However, the Tribunal of the fifth dimension have observed Mxy's antics, and they are not pleased. Stripping him of his powers, they send him to Earth until he can do three months of good deeds for the people he's been tormenting. Meanwhile, Superman has to convince the enraged Bizarro that he's been lied to.
This episode contains examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Mxy gets lots of minor injuries, Played for Laughs.
- Appeal to Inherent Nature: Mxy tries to argue to the fifth dimension judges that pranking Superman is just his personality. They don't buy it.Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly. I gotta bug that jerk till I die! (Beat) Or he does.
- Baleful Polymorph: when Mxy's wife steps up to defend him, the authorities turn her into a tree.
- Brought Down to Normal: Mxy is punished by being stripped of his powers.
- Call Back:
- Mxy has been plotting vengeance on Superman every since "Mxypixilated".
- Bizarro wound up on that plant in "Bizarro's World."
- You Gave Your Word: Mxy breaking his word was what eventually brought the judges down on him.
- Insanity Defense: Gspy, Mxy's wife, asserts that her husband's obsession with Superman makes him not responsible for his actions.
- Kangaroo Court: This was Zig-Zagged with Mr. Mxyzptlk's trial, where he was charged with "meddling with an underevolved species", violating interdimensional travel laws, and breaking his word (which is considered a very serious crime in his dimension, apparently). The trial consisted simply of the three judges reading the accusations, scolding him, and finding him guilty (and when his wife Gsptlsnz tried to defend him by arguing "extenuating circumstances", they responded by turning her into a tree - clearly they aren't fond of lawyers). Of course, Mxyzptlk was obviously guilty of these charges, and the sentence he received could be viewed as lenient, considering all the trouble he caused. (Superman compared it to "three months of community service", although Mxy probably didn't like it very much.)
- Loophole Abuse: Invoked by Mxy. He said he wouldn't return to harrass Superman; he didn't say anything about not getting someone else to do it for him.
- Not-So-Innocent Whistle: Bizarro whistles, to himself, before knocking a boulder down a hill so he can "rescue" the 'city-zens' of his planet.
- Pass the Popcorn: Mxy summons a bucket of popcorn while watching Superman and Bizarro fight.
- Taking the Bullet: Feeling that they have no choice, the Metropolis police open fire on Bizarro with a blaster designed to cause damage to super-life-forms. Knowing that Bizarro won't survive the shot, Superman performs a Diving Save - which finally gets his clone to believe him.
- Title Drop: Bizarro's nickname for Mxy.
- Worth It: Mxy initially thinks his punishment is, in exchange for getting revenge on Superman. He changes his mind.