open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Complete inversion on Azumanga Daioh: The animal is tiny, not big; the character approaches it while placating it instead of backing away, and instead of it turning out to be nice, it turned out to be exactly as dangerous as it didn't look.
- Disney's Aladdin. Aladdin says to Rajah, "Down kitty...Look! A mouse!...Scat...C'mon, good tiger... Take off and go!...Down kitty".
- By the way, the "Good tiger... Take off and go!" part is one of the movie's most infamous Mondegreens.
- Mike in the Teaser Trailer for Monsters, Inc.: "Nice doggy. Nice big doggy."
- You think Tim Allen's character is going to do this when he sees a dog in his first foray as Santa in The Santa Clause, but he subverts it: "Nice... teeth!"
- In Octopussy, James Bond commands a tiger to "Sit!" (in Barbara Woodhouse's distinctive tone). And it does.
- In Ghostbusters when Louis Tully is confronted by the monstrous Vinz Clortho, he tries to soothe it with, "Good doggie...nice little pooch..."
- The titular lion in Secondhand Lions. Definitely a very nice kitty, she is impossibly tame, though very protective of her cub (Walter).
- Pee-wee's Big Adventure - stranded in the middle of nowhere in pitch dark, Pee-Wee hears nearby growling and nervously goes "nice kitty..." When he turns on a light, he finds himself surrounded by big predatory animals that absolutely don't belong in the American desert southwest.
- The Aristocats: "Nice doggy, nice doggy, roll over, play dead!"
- In Black Hawk Down, Twombly feels the need to address a donkey trotting down the street near him:
Twombly: Nice donkey.
- In Batman Returns, Catwoman and the Penguin use this on each others' pets (a canary for the Penguin and a black cat for Catwoman). It's an ironic example in that both are the aggressor rather than the victim, the two animals being completely harmless to humans.
- In Chaplin's The Circus, the Tramp ends up locked in a cage with a lion. Fortunately, the big cat is too lazy to go after him.
- There's an old saying that goes: "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock."
- A subversion in The Flintstones: Barney sees a Bantydactyl and cheerfully says "Here, pussy pussy" to it until it cheerfully opens its mouth and grabs him leaving only his feet exposed.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Aang flees a big horned gorilla thing until he realizes it's King Bumi's pet. Then he tentatively asks, "...Flopsy?" To which Flopsy responds by grabbing him and cuddling him.
- An episode of SpongeBob SquarePants shows Patrick trying to do this with a lionfish...while trying to lure him away with sausage. But he eats the sausage, so this fails.
- The Simpsons: Homer is terrified of some grizzly bears he and Bart run into while on a camping trip, and murmurs "Nice grizzlies...Nice grizzlies..." Bart, meanwhile, is completely unafraid ("Later, grizzly-dudes").
- Donald Duck does this after he roughhouses a mountain lion, who he initially thought was his nephews in disguise.