Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 2 E 17 Procrastination Im With Stupid
and I'm With Stupid
are episodes from the second season of SpongeBob SquarePants
SpongeBob has to write an essay for boating school about what not to do at a stoplight, but keeps putting it off by the most mundane things.I'm With Stupid
Patrick's parents are visiting and he doesn't want them to think that he's an idiot, so he asks SpongeBob to act like an idiot to make Patrick seem smart by comparison. Unfortunately, Patrick starts believing his own lies.
Procrastination provides examples of:
- All for Nothing: After SpongeBob spends the episode procrastinating and then jotting down a bunch of things just before class starts, he's told by Mrs. Puff that the assignment has been cancelled because she has to go to a conference.
- All Just a Dream: Some of the later events (SpongeBob getting visited by the mailman, the chair talking to him and his house being set on fire) didn't really happen.
- Bowdlerized: SpongeBob's brief little workout, in which he stretches his arms, eyelashes and nose, were rather jarringly cut from syndication after too many people complained that his nose exercises looked phallic.
- Compressed Vice: Before this, SpongeBob has never, ever been shown to put off a task, given how big a Workaholic he is.
- Medium-Shift Gag: As SpongeBob muses about getting his driver's license, it cuts to a live-action motor car racing down a track, immediately having an accident.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: As the title implies. SpongeBob is initially very eager and motivated to writing the 800 word essay due the following day, unlike the rest of class, but when upon discovering that coming up with ideas isn't as easy (or necessarily fun) as he thought it would be, he starts finding any possible way to avoid it, from feeding Gary an enormous amount of food and saying he's not leaving until he eats it all...which he does in about two seconds. SpongeBob then decides that he must clean up Gary's enormous mess he made (actually just one small drop of snail food) and the rest of the kitchen pristine before going back to work. He then decides to stop goofing up and we a monologue of him appearing to be writing something very creative, but we see he actually just wrote the word "the" in a very fancy manner. Several other humorous distractions occur.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: SpongeBob completes the essay, but Mrs. Puff ends up having to leave for a teacher's convention and she tells him she decided to cancel the assignment. note
- Title Drop: In the German dub, the episode is simply titled "Der Aufsatz" ("The Essay").
- What Have I Done?: "Help! Help! My house is on fire!"
I'm With Stupid provides examples of: (YMMV here)
- Cassandra Truth: SpongeBob is unable to convince Patrick and his parents that he's not really stupid.
- Conspicuous CGI: Patrick's house rocking on its foundation at the beginning.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: The episode ends with Patrick and his (real) parents laughing as his rock house closes down on them.
- Gainax Ending: Patrick discovered that the two people he's been entertaining aren't his parents, finds his real parents right outside and the three of them laugh while the fake parents simply shrug it off, remembering that they don't even have a son, and walk off. Rock closes. The end. We never even find out what happened to Spongebob after he ran off screaming.
- Gone Horribly Right: SpongeBob fakes dumbness as part of his and Patrick's plan, but Patrick begins to believe he's actually dumb.
- Hypocritical Humor:
Yeah,dumb people are blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are duuuuh...
- Karma Houdini: Patrick gets no punishment for essentially tormenting SpongeBob into insanity.
- Noodle Incident: "Patrick! You forgot how to eat again! Quick, I'll get the funnel!"
- Obfuscating Stupidity: SpongeBob pretends to be stupid to make Patrick look smarter in front of his parents. Unfortunately, Patrick starts to believe that he is stupid.
- Oblivious to His Own Description: Over the course of the episode, Patrick begins to believe SpongeBob really is dumb, forgetting about their own plan.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After various failed attempts at getting Patrick's parents to believe he's actually dumb, SpongeBob screams and runs out of the house in frustration. What he doesn't know is that the starfish couple he met are not Patrick's real parents.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Patrick manages to impress his parents - at the cost of poor SpongeBob's sanity. Then Squidward brings over Patrick's real parents, who'd been standing outside all day wondering where their son was.
- Title Drop: Patrick briefly wears a "I'm With Stupid" T-shirt.
- Too Dumb to Live: Patrick lampshades this, feeling this is how his parents view him. It turns out they aren't exactly mistaken about their son, who can't even recognize them until after he's already mistaken two other people for his parents!
- On that note, Marty and Janet are definitely this, for thinking Patrick was their son in the first place and going through the trouble to see him only to remember they have no son.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Patrick starts to believe that SpongeBob really is dumb, forgetting that SpongeBob is only pretending. Patrick then starts making personal insults, and when SpongeBob tries to remind him that they're only pretending, he denies it.
- Visual Pun: A classic example.
Spongebob: (in response to a piece of paper Patrick is holding) Hey, a note! (takes it to reveal that there's a music note on it)
Patrick: Yeah, but turn it over, there's a letter!
Spongebob: (turns the "note" around to reveal the letter B on the back) You're right!
- Wham Line: Courtesy of Patrick at the end, to his "parents":
Patrick: Janet!? Marty!? WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!?