Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 23 The Amazing Transparent Man
"So, the leading causes of accidents are joy, sex, and old age?"
—Mike Nelson on The Days Of Our Years
Film watched: The Amazing Transparent Man
with the short The Days of Our YearsThe Days of Our Years
and another short, Catching Trouble
, are considered two of the more upsetting shorts ever shown on MST3K
The counter-depressing MST3K version of The Days of Our Years provides the following tropes:
- Comically Missing the Point: Mike misses the point of the Psalm at the start of the short, which is to pretty much enjoy your life while you have it.
- Eye Scream: Worth repeating, because it's the only time Mike and the bots are disturbed when watching the short.
Mike: You don't have to HOLD it there!
- Mind Screw: The minister at one point to Crow.
Minister: Whenever I do I'm often reminded of things that happened to people who weren't even there (accidents).
Crow: Oh sure, I - HUH?!
- Retirony: Jokingly alluded to in the riffing:
Minister: If (George) could only hold out until retirement time.
Crow: ...at five o'clock today.
- Shout-Out: Plan 9 from Outer Space gets a couple.
- This Isn't Heaven: Alluded to during a dream sequence that films a couple making out through the flames of a fireplace.
Tom: They're in Hell!
Servo: Reverend, I'm having a crisis of faith, what should I do?
Crow: Get safety goggles, my son.