Recap / Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 07 Bloodlust
Original work: Bloodlust
This episode also featured the short Uncle Jim's Dairy Farm
Considering that the hero is played by Robert Reed, the crew show admirable restraint in keeping to a single reference to The Brady Bunch
. The episode is also noteworthy for introducing Pearl Forrester, Dr. F's mother who essentially replaced Frank in Season 7 and became the actual Big Bad
from Season 8 onwards.
This MST3K episode provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Mike and the Bots are irritated when the movie contains two of these. They don't particularly care that the latter was Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Angrish: Crow descends into it while calling for square dancing, quickly turning the hoedown into a mosh pit.
- Black Humor: A lot in "Uncle Jim's Dairy Farm:"
Crow: (watching the cow feed pour out) "I just saw a finger."
- Chekhov's Skill: Mike and the Bots call the movie out on this.
- Crazy-Prepared: During Balleau's cave monologue towards the end, the riffers guess he makes the speech every night in case someone might be hiding there.
- Foreshadowing: A particularly ham-fisted example gets noted by Mike and the Bots.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: Crow and Servo think this has happened to Mike, who will try to hunt them like Balleau. Imitating Kenny G aside, Mike seems fine.
- It Was His Sled / All There Is to Know About "The Crying Game": Somehow predating TV Tropes by a few years, Crow spouts off these Tropes and their Trope Namers back to back after revealing he was the killer in the crew's murder mystery dinner prematurely.
- Karmic Death: The riffers lampshade the film's failed attempt at this:
Servo: Now if he had said 'I will never be impaled on my own trophy rack', then this would be ironic.
- My Beloved Smother: Reversed/Subverted. Dr. Forrester is obsessed with impressing his mother, but Mrs. Forrester can't be bothered with him; she'd rather hang with TV's Frank.
- Never Say That Again: Mike and the Bots' reaction after the older cousin does a hog call.
- Parental Neglect: The parents in Uncle Jim's Dairy Farm are interpreted by Mike and the Bots as this. Not to mention Dr. F and his own mother.
- Running Gag: Pete's nerdyness, Balleau's feyness, Tony's drunkenness, the boiled heads, and the clambake.
- Shout-Out: Dr. F: After all, a boy's best friend is his mother.
- Sissy Villain: Mike and the bots see Balleau as this.
- Spanner in the Works: The crew's murder mystery dinner party ultimately hits the skids... due to Crow announcing that he was the killer immediately after Tom announces the dinner.
- Take That: Mike and the Bots are pleased when one of Balleau's hunting trophies looks like ALF.
- Verbal Backspace: Gypsy, when she can't bring herself to compliment Dr. Forrester in his mother's presence.
Gypsy: Now I understand why he's so sick! Boy, I'm tempted to call her something that rhymes with "bitch"! Oh! I mean, with "witch"!
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic? : Tom Servo's comment on Balleau's "crucifixion".
Servo: Now, why this symbolism? Did Christ hunt people on deserted islands?
- What the Hell, Hero?: The rest of the crew aren't too happy with Crow for ruining the murder mystery dinner party by revealing he was the killer immediately at the start.