Recap / Kim Possible S 1 E 1 Crush
Middleton High's Spirit Week dance is coming up, and although Kim Possible usually takes her best friend
, Ron Stoppable, to most functions, she decides instead to ask Josh Mankey, a handsome older student she's crushing on. Before she can, however, she's called off to Japan to rescue workers from the Nakasumi Toy factory, which has been taken over by her Arch-Enemy
, Dr. Drakken (leading Ron to think the villain is planning to steal it's new video game, thereby ruining Christmas). Though Kim manages to save the workers, Drakken absconds with the entire factory.
Back at Middleton High, all of Kim's attempts to talk with Josh end in disaster (as do all of Ron's attempts to get a date) ending with her accidentally destroying one of his banners in the gym. Hoping to avoid school, Kim travels to Drakken's Apline base and, after overcoming Shego & his henchmen, discovers he's converted the factory's assembly line into a giant robot. With Wade's help, Kim disables the robot until a recovered Shego allows Drakken to regain control; fortunately, Kim is able to use her grappling hook to trip up the robot, foiling Drakken's scheme.
With the evil plot foiled, Kim overcomes her adversity and manages to ask Josh to the dance. Everyone has a good time, except Ron, who gets locked in a closet (by Kim, of all people) and misses out on everything.
This episode provides examples of:
- Answer Cut: Ron wonders what exactly it is that makes Wade's stink gas so effective.
(cut to Wade's house)
Mrs. Load: (holding socks) Wade, I wish you'd stop taking your father's dirty socks.
Wade: Mom, I need those!
Mrs. Load: What for?
Wade: They're integral to my top secret stink formula.
- Arm Cannon: Drakken's robot has one.
- Artistic Licence - Geography: Played for Laughs obviously, to highlight Ron's stupidity. "Tokyo, I love the French."
- Butt Monkey: Ron suffers more humiliation and disrespect in this episode than any other. Fortunately, he grows out of it.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Flying Kick now!"
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Eureka Moment: As Wade tries to figure out the password to hack into the robot, he realizes it's "konnichiwa" because that's what the Z-Boy figure always says.
- Hack Your Enemy: Wade's hacking skills win the final showdown by shutting down Drakken's Humongous Mecha.
- Hope Spot: Played for Laughs; Ron manages to stop mere inches from the security beams around Drakken's base, only for Rufus to slide into them.
- Also, Kim thinking she's disabled the robot, only for Shego to blast away the Kimmunicator, giving Drakken control of it once more.
- Humongous Mecha: What Drakken ends up building with the factory he steals.
- It's Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Kim's dad says Drakken's name as "Drock-kon" instead of it's usual pronunciation.
- Locked Up and Left Behind: Ron ends up missing the Spirit Week dance because he's locked in a janitor's closet.
- Mundane Utility: Kim apparently has no problem using Wade's vast computer resources to track Josh in the school hallway.
- Noodle Incident: How Kim saved Britina's concert in Chicago, and whatever she did to help Heinrich with that avalanche (that Ron started).
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Britina is basically the KP version of Britney Spears.
- The Password is Always "Swordfish": The password to take control of a giant robot is the word the robot keeps repeating over and over.
- Rule of Three: It takes Ron three times to finally grapple unto the roof of the Nakasumi building, and he loses his pants & shirt in the process.
- Running Gag: Ron thinking Drakken's plan is to steal the Z-Boy video game, thereby ruining Christmas for everyone.
Kim: For the last time, he was not trying to steal Christmas!
- Ron failing to get a date for the dance.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: "Contrary to popular belief, I am not dating Kim Possible. Which is good news for you, Josh Mankey."
- Socially-Awkward Hero: The episode provides a particularly clear example of what will be a recurring source of personal drama for Kim. Dealing with a mad scientist who wants to take over the world and his superpowered enforcer is easy. Asking a cute guy to the dance, no so much....
- Shout-Out: Kim defeats Drakken's robot by by wrapping a cable around its' legs, causing it to crash.
- Stylistic Suck: Ron's "photo" of Bonnie, which looks like a toddler drew it.
- This is No Time to Panic:
Ron: Don't panic Kim.
Kim: I'm not.
Ron: That makes one of us.
- Unwilling Suspension: Ron at the hands of Drakken's mech, then Drakken himself after Wade takes control of it.
- You Can't Thwart Stage One: Kim is unsuccessful in stopping Drakken from stealing the factory.