Recap / Family Guy S 8 E 16 April In Quahog
April 11, 2010
When news hits that a black hole is eating up the solar system and the Earth will be destroyed in 24 hours, everyone in town goes out of their way to spend their last day on Earth, and when Peter admits he hates being around the kids and the news anchors admit that the whole thing was an April Fools' joke, Peter must win back his children's love.
"April in Quahog" contains examples of:
- April Fools' Plot
Tom: Yes, April Fools. We, at Channel 5 News conducted the whole black hole story as part of our commitment to be infestive around the holidays.
Diane: And with only 87 suicides and widespread looting, we think this was a pretty successful practical joke!
- There was also a real April Fool's prank to promote this episode, as promo pictures promised that Stan and Francine Smith and Hank Hill were to appear, but they didn't. They did, however, appear on a season eleven episode.
- Borrowed Catchphrase
Meg: Shut up, dad!
- Captain Obvious
Brian: Does it bite?
Peter: Of course it bites. It's a lion.
- Crossing the Burnt Bridge: Peter spends the second half of the episode trying to make amends with the kids after admitting he didn't like them the moment everyone thought the world was supposed to end.
- Eye Scream: Peter removes his eyeball while high on crystal meth.
- Halfway Plot Switch: The first part has Peter on jury duty, the second part is about widespread panic over the world supposedly ending, and the third has Peter trying to be a better father.
- Jerk Ass: Peter, although he shows some of his original Jerk with a Heart of Gold persona by the end.
- N-Word Privileges: On his supposed last day, Peter decides to shout the N-word in an all-black neighborhood note . He comes back wearing Requisite Royal Regalia and a sash reading "King of the Black People".
Peter: They respected me for it.
- Spoof Aesop (and Broken Aesop): "If you can't earn your kids' respect, you can always buy it."