May 2, 2010
In this Family Guy
take on the All in the Family
episode, "Archie in the Cellar," Brian and Stewie are locked in a bank's vault for the weekend and, after a disgusting ordeal involving a soiled diaper, begin to bond — and Stewie learns a horrible secret about Brian.
"Brian & Stewie" contains examples of:
- Borrowed Catchphrase: At one point, Stewie says "Giggity".
- Bottle Episode, Very Special Episode, and Something Completely Different: It's the only Family Guy episode (so far) to have no cutaway jokes, flashbacks, or any of the typical Family Guy humor (besides the infamous diaper-eating sequence) nor does it have any other voice actor besides Seth MacFarlane, or any music or musical numbers (though when it first aired as part of the "FOX Rocks" line-up, the episode immediately after that was a Clip Show of the series' different musical numbers), it takes place in one setting (Seth MacFarlane has stated that he wanted to do this episode like a Waiting for Godot-style play), and is one in a handful of episodes that's more dramatic than funny (see also: "Screams of Silence: The Brenda Q. Story," "Brian Wallows and Peter's Swallows," and "Partial Terms of Endearment").
- Bowdlerization: On the TV version, a lot of the "Diaper-eating scene" and references to it had to be edited (and, like most other Family Guy episodes, the uncut version — with the original lines and unbleeped swearing — can be found on DVD).
- Driven to Suicide: It's revealed Brian has a gun so he can kill himself because he feels his life is not worth living.
- Ironic Echo: "Oh I'm just callin' like I'm seein' it!"
- Oh, Crap: When Brian realizes that his acts of eating Stewie's poop and licking his butt have been caught on tape by a security camera.
- Sick and Wrong: Brian in regards to Stewie asking him to eat his poop.
Brian: That's sick! That is sick! How messed up in the head are you that you'd even ask!?
- Skewed Priorities: Stewie's cell phone had just enough battery life for one call... which he wastes trying to return his sweater.
- Wham Line: Brian's admission that he keeps a gun for if he ever wants to kill himself comes fresh off of Stewie making perverted jokes about it.
- You Monster!: Brian says this when Stewie reveals that he made him eat his poop because it amused him.
Brian: You son of a bitch, it could kill you for that!