Recap / Family Guy S 4 E 17 The Fat Guy Strangler
Original air date
: November 27, 2005
Lois discovers that she has a brother (voiced by Robert Downey, Jr.
), who has been locked in a mental hospital after a traumatizing experience he suffered as a child. Meanwhile, Peter starts an advocacy group for fat men after Dr. Hartman diagnoses him with "being fat."
Tropes associated with this episode
- Continuity Nod: Brian throws a rock at Peter for rolling up the window when he tried to jump into the General Lee in "To Love And Die in Dixie."
- What Could Have Been: Originally it was going to be because Brian was in a carrier cage on a plane to meet Patrick and Peter pissed on him. Probably changed because Brian would never get into a carrier carriage.
- Hypocrite: Peter's meeting for fat people carries a sign reading "No Fat Chicks".
- Innocently Insensitive: Peter is a jerkass, but he had no way of knowing that Patrick was traumatized over Jackie Gleason. He still brainlessly does it again right after Patrick has been stopped.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Implied with Marian. Brian and Stewie leave a cucumber where in front of where she supposedly sits, and it pickles.
- Only Sane Man: Brian realizes straight away that Patrick is the Fat Guy Strangler and tells Lois that it's pretty clear it's him. Lois however is in full blown denial.
- Overly Long Gag: Dr. Hartman's many fake-outs on whether Peter is healthy or not:
Lois: So, Doctor? ls Peter healthy?
Dr. Hartman: Goodness. You'll be dead in a month.
Dr. Hartman: Hägar the Horrible, if you keep up that lifestyle of pillaging and turkey legs, you'll be dead in a month. Now, onto you.
Peter: So what do you think? Pretty healthy?
Dr. Hartman: Well, Mr. Griffin, let's take a look at your physical results. (screams; Lois and Peter gasp) There's a spider in here. Now, here we go. Mr. Griffin, you're going to expire in a month. (Lois and Peter gasp) This is your driver's license, isn't it? I'm afraid you are going to die... (Lois and Peter gasp) when you watch these Dean Martin celebrity roasts.
Lois: Will you just tell us how Peter's health is?!
Dr. Hartman: Mr. Griffin, I'm not quite sure how to say this. Kim Bassinger? Kim Basinger? But now, onto the cancer.
Lois: My God.
Dr. Hartman: You are a Cancer, right? You were born in July? On to these test results. My, they're much worse than I thought. (Lois and Peter gasp) My son got a D minus on his history test. Now, that liver's got to come out.
Dr. Hartman: It's been in the microwave for three minutes. Now-
Lois: Please. Please, we can't take any more shtick.
- The first meeting for fat people, which consists of a lot of belching, flatulence, heavy breathing, and unwrapping candy bars.
- Ball in a cup.
- Shout-Out: To:
- The Honeymooners: The Jackie Gleason look-alike (and later, Peter) impersonating the show's signature character and mannerisms, including "Pow! Right in the kisser!"
- Billy Joel: The "caveman who invented singing" performs Joel's 1984 hit "The Longest Time," a cappella style.
- This Is Gonna Suck: After Patrick introduces "Marian", Stewie merely sighs a deadpan "Oh, here we go...", knowing instantly things will go downhill from there.
- Trigger: Peter's insensitive impersonation of Ralph Kramden (from The Honeymooners) triggers Patrick's trauma of seeing his mother and a Jackie Gleason lookalike having an affair ... and sets off his homicidal rage against overweight people.