This episode contains examples of:
- Beer Goggles: Tom Tucker drinks on the air because he wants to find the Pawtucket Brewery scroll; Diane Simmons gives him a face and Tom says, "Hey, don't complain; this is actually making you look attractive."
- Also Stewie waking up next to an ugly baby in a cutaway and moaning, "Please tell me we didn't do it."
- Can't Use Stairs: Joe is unable to take the tour of Pawtucket Pat's factory because there's no wheelchair ramp.Joe: I'm glad I'm not takin' your stupid tour! I'm a Coors man anyway! Silver bullet!
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody: The first half. This is notable as one of the few Factory parodies that directly spoofs the songs from the 1971 film, rather than bringing in Suspiciously Similar Songs as substitutes.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Stewie beats up one of Lois's piano students while she's getting some sheet music. When she returns to find his bruised face, she asks what happened and the student, afraid of Stewie, says "I fell."
- Early Installment Weirdness: Viewers familiar with the Pawtucket Brewery from later episodes would most likely be shocked by its initial portrayal as a whimsical stand-in for Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.
- Halfway Plot Switch: The first half is a Whole Plot Reference to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, but after he breaks the rules, the episode focuses more on the whole piano contest plot.
- Overly Long Gag: Peter's breathing when he gets hit in the knee. Prior to the infamous Conway Twitty cutaways and the Peter vs. The Giant Chicken fights, this was considered an overly-long gag that started out funny, but got annoying really quick.
- Was It Really Worth It?: At the end, after winning the competition, Lois has this reaction, knowing that she most likely damaged Peter's health and killed countless brain cells by keeping him constantly drunk to ensure her victory.