Recap: Family Guy S 2 E 20 Wasted Talent
Original air date: July 25, 2000After Peter wins a chance to visit the Pawtucket Brewery (and gets banned for trying an experimental beer), he gets drunker than usual, which turns him into a piano virtuoso (or, as Lois says, "You're like that idiot from Shine!"), and Lois does whatever she can to get her husband as wasted as possible in time for a piano competition.
This episode contains examples of:
- Can't Use Stairs: Joe is unable to take the tour of Pawtucket Pat's factory because there's no wheelchair ramp.Joe: I'm glad I'm not takin' your stupid tour! I'm a Coors man anyway! Silver bullet!
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody: The first half. This is notable as one of the few Factory parodies that directly spoofs the songs from the 1971 film, rather than bringing in Suspiciously Similar Songs as substitutes.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Stewie beats up one of Lois's piano students while she's getting some sheet music. When she returns to find his bruised face, she asks what happened and the student, afraid of Stewie, says "I fell."
- Halfway Plot Switch: The first half is a Whole Plot Reference to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but after he breaks the rules, the episode focuses more on the whole piano contest plot.
- Overly Long Gag: Peter's breathing when he gets hit in the knee. Prior to the infamous Conway Twitty cutaways and the Peter vs. The Giant Chicken fights, this was considered an overly-long gag that started out funny, but got annoying really quick.
- Ten With A Two: Tom Tucker drinks on the air because he wants to find the Pawtucket Brewery scroll; Diane Simmons gives him a face and Tom says, "Hey, don't complain; this is actually making you look attractive."
- Also Stewie waking up next to an ugly baby and moaning, "Please tell me we didn't do it."