Recap: Family Guy S 12 E 8 Christmas Guy
In this Christmas Episode, Peter tries to get Lois' father, Carter, into the spirit while Stewie finds a way to get Brian back and prevent his death.
Examples that appear in this episode (YMMV goes here):
- The Bus Came Back: Averted, as Stewie prevents Brian from dying.
- Call Back: A one-off cutaway from "Life of Brian" depicting Stewie jumping forward in time to get a Christmas toy early becomes very important to the plot.
- Deconstructive Parody: see "Home Alone" Antics
- Funny Background Event: See Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds.
- The Grinch: Carter
- Groin Attack: Brian gets from Stewie after being saved by Future Stewie.
- Half Way Plot Switch: The first half has Peter teaching Carter the holiday spirit; once that is resolved, the second half being about Stewie getting Brian back.
- "Home Alone" Antics and Too Soon: Parodied in a cutaway gag, showing what would happen if the robbers in the trope namer were smart. The episode came on the day after the one year anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, which caught the ire of the Parents' Television Council (who already attack Seth MacFarlane and his shows for being offensive, indecent, and foul).
- Humiliation Conga/Laser-Guided Karma: Carter suffer this.
- Reality Ensues: See "Home Alone" Antics.
- Retgone: Due to his actions, Future!Stewie gets erased from existence for saving Brian, leaving only Brian with the knowledge of what would have happened.
- Sequel Episode: Big time. This continues the arc from "Life of Brian".
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Stewie going back in time to save Brian from getting run over by the car.
- Home Alone: What if it had intelligent criminals who are wise to any possible deterrents?
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Vinnie. He only appeared for less than 2 and a half episodes, and after the end of this one, he may never appear again.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Stewie in the first half. After Brian's death in "Life of Brian", he definitely is a potential Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds.
- Later inverted, as this Stewie is retconned from the Family Guy canon at the end of the episode, and the "real" one shows how much he takes Brian for granted by giving him a groin attack.
- Would Hurt a Child: The robbers of the Home Alone Cutaway Gag put a bullet on the kid's head the moment they get a clear shot. It's this and their non-plussed Bond One-Liner ("well...now there's no witnesses") that provided heavily to the Dude, Not Funny! reaction from the Parents' Television Council.