Recap / Family Guy S 12 E 6 Life Of Brian
After a time-traveling mission gone wrong, Stewie decides to destroy his time machine once and for all — which proves to be disastrous when Brian gets hit by a car and dies, and what's worse, the supply guy Stewie goes to for plutonium is arrested for drawing Mohammed. While the Griffins get a new dog in memory of Brian, Stewie has a hard time forgetting his canine companion.
This episode contains examples of:
- Antagonist in Mourning: Inverted with Quagmire—he doesn't cry or show remorse for Brian, as he's too busy watching a video on his cell phone. Because of this, some fans believe that Quagmire could have been the unseen driver who hit Brian and caused this whole thing in the first place.
- Bittersweet Ending: Although some see this as a Downer Ending—at least until the Christmas Episode where Stewie goes back in time to prevent Brian's death from ever happening.
- The Cameo: Practically everyone at Brian's funeral.
- Continuity Nod: While at the vet waiting on Brian's surgery, Peter talk with a chicken who had his head cut off. The chicken tells him he doesn't want to talk with him because he has a bad reputation with the chicken community.
- Also, when Vinnie asks Stewie about the vomit smell in the living room carpet (a reference to the infamous "ipecac vomiting sequence" from season 4's "Eight Simple Rules for Buying My Teenaged Daughter")
- Despair Event Horizon: Most fans consider this it for the series.
- Downer Ending: Many fans, especially those of Brian, consider it this.
- Even Jerkasses Have Loved Ones: Stewie really shows he loves Brian (as do the rest of the Griffins).
- Famous Last Words: ''"You've given me a wonderful life...I love you all"''.
- Grey Rain of Depression: At Brian's funeral, sort of. It's not raining, but it is overcast, so it counts.
- Hope Spot: Not restricted to this episode, but a few future episode titles were shown to have Brian's name in them, meaning that Brian's death wasn't going to be permanent.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Stewie to Brian. And it just pulls at the heart.
- Retcon: As of "Christmas Guy", the majority of this episode—as well as the majority of "Christmas Guy" and possibly "Into Harmony's Way"—never happened.
- So What Do We Do Now?: Pretty much what all the fans thought (until the episode "Christmas Guy").
- Spoiler Title: Pretty much.
- Status Quo Is God: Averted in the case of Brian's death but played straight about two episodes later.
- Take That / Biting-the-Hand Humor: At Family Guy DVDs being packages out of season order and being labelled as "Volumes" rather than "Seasons".
- The End... Or Is It?: Brian doesn't return at the end. And even though he has since, it's believed he might die for real later.
- Undying Loyalty: Stewie remains loyal to Brian after he dies.
- Walking Spoiler
- Wham Episode: Brian dies but this is prevented from ever happening in the Christmas episode.
- "What Now?" Ending: Sort of.
- You Are Not Alone: Vinny to Stewie—it's what actually convinces Stewie that Vinny might not be all bad.