Recap: Family Guy S 12 E 6 Life Of Brian
After a time-traveling mission gone wrong, Stewie decides to destroy his time machine once and for all — which proves to be disastrous when Brian gets hit by a car and dies, and what's worse, the supply guy Stewie goes to for plutonium is arrested for drawing Mohammed. While the Griffins get a new dog in memory of Brian, Stewie has a hard time forgetting his canine companion.
This episode contains examples of:
- Antagonist in Mourning: Inverted with Quagmire—-he doesn't cry or show remorse for Brian, as he's too busy watching a video on his cell phone. Kinda makes you wonder who was driving that car...
- Bittersweet Ending: Although some see this as a Downer Ending — at least until the Christmas Episode where Stewie goes back in time to prevent Brian's death from ever happening.
- The Cameo: Practically everyone at Brian's funeral.
- Continuity Nod: While at the vet waiting on Brian's surgery, Peter talk with a chicken who had his head cut off. The chicken tells him he doesn't want to talk with him because he has a bad reputation with the chicken community.
- Also, when Vinnie asks Stewie about the vomit smell in the living room carpet (a reference to the infamous "ipecac vomiting sequence" from season 4)
- Despair Event Horizon: Most fans consider this it for the series.
- Downer Ending: Many fans, especially those of Brian, consider it this.
- Even Jerkasses Have Loved Ones: Stewie really shows he loves Brian.
- Famous Last Words: ''"You've given me a wonderful life...I love you all"''.
- Grey Rain Of Depression: At Brian's funeral, sort of. It's not raining, but it is overcast, so it counts.
- Hope Spot: Not restricted to this episode, but a few future episode titles were shown to have Brian's name in them, meaning that Brian's death wasn't going to be permanent.
- Killed Off for Real: Brian, but later undone in the Christmas episode.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Stewie to Brian. And it just pulls at the heart.
- Retcon: As of "Christmas Guy", the majority of this episode—-as well as the majority of "Christmas Guy" and possibly "Into Harmony's Way"—-never happened.
- Revised Ending: See "Christmas Guy".
- So What Do We Do Now?: Pretty much what all the fans thought (until the episode "Christmas Guy").
- Spoiler Title: Pretty much.
- Status Quo Is God: Averted in the case of Brian's death but played straight later.
- Take That / Biting-the-Hand Humor: At Family Guy DVDs being packages out of season order and being labelled as "Volumes" rather than "Seasons".
- The End... Or Is It?: Brian doesn't return at the end. And even though he has since, it's believed he might die for real later.
- Undying Loyalty: Stewie remains loyal to Brian after he dies.
- Walking Spoiler
- Wham Episode: Brian dies but this is prevented from ever happening in the Christmas episode.
- "What Now?" Ending: Sort of.
- You Are Not Alone: Vinny to Stewie—-it's what actually convinces Stewie that Vinny might not be all bad.