Peter gets fired for driving a forklift through an executive meeting, and suffers from impotence when Lois gets a job at the grocery store.
- Adults Are Useless: Dr. Hartman.
- Peter couldn't even do something as simple as make dinner without killing his kids.
- Body Horror / And I Must Scream: Peter tries to drop a beached whale into the ocean and accidentally eviscerates it while it is still alive.
- Breather Episode: After the immensely tearjerking Game Changer episode that took place and was undone at the end of the third, the episode definitely something of this (though most reviewers hated this episode, as it encapsulates everything that's wrong with current episodes of Family Guy, and the tearjerking, game-changing arc with Brian dead and the Griffin family trying to cope without him is really the direction Family Guy should be going).
- Either/Or Title: The full title is "Peter Problems, or How Peter Got His Groove Back" (though it appears on cable and TV guides as "Peter Problems," meaning that the full title could have been a Working Title that got shortened before broadcast).
- Misplaced Wildlife: In a scene parodying the beginning and ending of The Lion King, tigers are seen among the african animals. Tigers are supposed to live in Asia.
- Shout-Out: To The Lion King and Saturday Night Fever.
- Status Quo Is God: Peter's job at the brewery is given back to him at the end of the episode.
- Too Dumb to Live: Peter when he tried to chug a vat of beer at work.