Recap / Family Guy S12 E11 "Brian's a Bad Father"
Brian's estranged son, Dylan, returns to Quahog to film a new Disney Channel kidcom, and Brian uses his son's fame to get a job as a staff writer. Meanwhile, Peter tries to make things right with Quagmire after accidentally shooting him, and ends up fighting with him over Joe.
Tropes associated with this episode (YMMV goes here):
- Big Eater: Brian, possibly, seeing as drowns his sorrows after Dylan leaves him by taking the entire refreshment table.
- Blowing a Raspberry: What Peter tries to do to little Suzie. Normally, you'd do it on the cheek or in the very least, the arm. Not here.
- Call-Back: Stewie returns as Zac Sawyer from "McStroke".
- Cluster Bleep-Bomb: Quagmire said five profanities that were bleeped in one scene when Peter refers him as trash.
Quagmire: "Jerome, can you tell that (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) to (bleep) get the hell out of here before I (bleep) kick him in the face?"
- Didn't Think This Through: It really didn't occur to Peter that Quagmire would take him up on his offer to shoot him.
- Dirty Coward: Near the end of the episode, Peter offers Quagmire the chance to shoot him in the arm as payback so they'll be even, thinking that Quagmire will turn it down and consider the gesture as being what counts. However, when Quagmire actually agrees to do so, outright stating that the offer itself means nothing to him, Peter immediately tries to back out.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Quagmire shooting Peter in the brain as intended payback.
- Even Evil Has Standards: It is strongly implied that Quagmire has had sexual relations with teenaged girls, making him in many eyes a sex offender (and the episode "Emission Impossible" from season three implies that he is a sex offender, because when Lois asks Quagmire to babysit the kids, he gives the warning, "In accordance with Megan's Law, I'm obligated to inform you..." before forgetting about it and taking the kids anyway). But even he is shocked at Peter's (off-camera) behavior with 1-year-old Suzie. Peter's implied past perverse sexual behavior is again at issue when he tries to visit his godson, Kevin, who immediately orders him out with a knife. (Peter tries to make an excuse.)
- Feud Episode: Happens with Peter and Quagmire.
- Hidden Depths: Apparently, Quagmire is an outstanding godfather to Susie.
- Hilarity Ensues: Joe would be banned from any police force in the United States if he sat idly by witnessing and allowing Peter to do what's implied to happen between him and a 1-year-old girl, as he does here. Matter o'fact, he'd be locked up too! Or in the very least, he and Quagmire (himself in disbelief at what occurred) would, in the real world, beat the crap out of Peter until he's nearly unconscious for what happened to Suzie. Sorry to say in Quahog, they roam free.
- Kill 'em All: What sick-in-the-head Peter "thinks" would be cool and funny to do to a cafeteria full of students at an elementary school, what with using that as an analogy to grouping wild animals together to shoot as on a hunting trip.
- My God, What Have I Done??: Brian had this when realized how selfish he was to use Dylan for his own writing career.
- No Sympathy: Quagmire shows no remorse over shooting Peter in the head and rendering him retarded at the end of the episode.
- Parental Abandonment: Brian hasn't even bothered to contact Dylan in the years since the episode his son was introduced, and was even making excuses not to go visit Dylan when he called. But the instant Brian finds out that Dylan is going to be starring in a TV show, he races over to the studio to mooch off of his son's upcoming fame.
- Pre-emptive Declaration: Deconstructed in this episode:
Security Guard: (at the studio where Brian's son Dylan works) Sorry, Brian, Dylan says he doesn't want to see you anymore. We're not allowed to let you in.
Brian: Well, you know what? I'm sorry, too.
Security Guard: For what?
Brian: For this!
(Brian takes a swing at the security guard, but the guard catches Brian's arm and then hits Brian with his baton)
- Sequel Episode: To the sixth season's The Former Life of Brian.
- Take a Third Option: Peter offers to let Quagmire shoot him in order to square things. Quagmire agrees, and a horrified Peter tries to back out—saying the gesture should be enough. They argue, so Joe shoots Peter as an attempted compromise. Then Quagmire shoots Peter anyway.
- 'Tis Only a Bullet in the Brain: Quagmire shoots Peter in the head, leaving him mentally handicapped with severe brain damage (well, more than he had anyways). Naturally, things are back to normal in the following next episode.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: The MGM lion said this in a cutaway after "sticking his head in a circle at the beginning of movies" as a child.
- With Catlike Tread: See Pre-emptive Declaration above.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Dylan is willing to give Brian another chance, only to realize Brian was just using him.