Zoe: Oh, this is going to be fun. I shall learn a lot from you.
- Action Figure Speech
- Auto Kitchen: The spaceship that the Doctor and Jamie spend Episode 1 on has one.
- Broken Aesop: The Doctor's "Logic, my dear Zoe..." line is intended to show that Zoe is too sure of herself, and logic won't necessarily lead one to the right answer. The problem is that her reasoning isn't wrong, and logic has led her to the right answer: the Silver Carrier's arrival was not an accident.
- ...But This Is Ridiculous!: Jamie, on discovering that people in the future eat cube-shaped Food Pills: "I've heard of a square meal, but this is ridiculous!"
- Custom Uniform: Zoe's jumpsuit is a different design from the other characters'.
- Dies Wide Open: How Jamie and Zoe find the body of Gemma Corwyn.
- Emotionless Girl: Zoe, in her first couple of episodes.
- Freak Out: Jarvis Bennett is the latest in a series of base officers to go nuts during this season.
- Freudian Slip: "We're all going to be killed shortly unless you switch over to sexual air supply" note
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gemma Corwyn
- Line-of-Sight Name: Jamie coins the long-running "John Smith" alias for the Doctor from a piece of medical equipment.
- Mathematician's Answer:Zoe: This Doctor friend of yours. Is he a scientist?
Jamie: He is in a way I suppose, yes.
Zoe: What's his speciality?
Jamie: His what?
Zoe: Well, is he a physicist, biochemist, astronomer, biometrician?
Jamie: Yes, he is.
- Meaningful Name: The Cybermen are often referred to in titles by the word silver (the Silver Menace, Nightmare in Silver, the Silver Turk, and so forth). So what's the name of the spaceship they use to Trojan Horse their way aboard the Wheel? The Silver Carrier, of course.
- Retirony: Zig-zagged with Flannigan. He's attacked almost immediately after declaring he's eager for a year's leave back on Earth, but manages to fight and even kill one of his attackers. He's then subjected to Cyberman control. Later he's the first to be removed from Cyberman control, ultimately subverting the trope.
- Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale: The Cybermen's plan requires meteor showers — which they cause by blowing up distant stars.
- Space Clothes: Zoe's catsuits are fondly remembered by fandom.
- Tainted Veins
- Tin-Can Robot: The servo robot in episode 1.
- You Keep Using That Word: The novelisation, and the narration in the soundtrack version, keep using 'capacitator', which isn't a word — the intention was probably 'capacitor'.
- Zeerust: Never mind Rose, Zoe was actually the first 21st century companion. A different, much groovier 21st century, featuring Space Clothes, Raygun Gothic, and Food Pills. Zoe probably played with jetpacks when she was a kid, it's just not mentioned...