A Jerk Jock dies during his visit back to Lawndale High and everyone comes to Daria for advice on how to deal with sadness, while Jane actively avoids her.
This episode provides examples of:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Daria and Jane discuss Tommy dying young seconds before his accident:Daria: What bothers me is that that jerk is going to be treated like a hero for the rest of his life.Jane: Well, maybe he won't live that long.Daria: Come on, you know wishes don't come true.CRASH
- Death by Irony: Tommy dies when the new goalpost - specifically designed to prevent injuries like the ones he suffered - falls over and kills him. And on the day it was being dedicated to him.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Mack's full name is revealed to be Michael Jordan MacKenzie. His middle name was James, until his father went to a Chicago Bulls game when he was twelve and changed it.
- Jerk Jock: Tommy Sherman in every way possible. He doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: The student body struggles with this after Tommy's awful interaction with them followed by his sudden death.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: A dueling version. Daria and Tommy trade blows:Tommy: Do you know who I am? Tommy Sherman?Daria: I know the whole school is turning itself inside out because of some egotistical football player. And I've seen you insult or proposition just about everyone you've come across. So my guess is that you're the football player guy. Congratulations, you must have worked very hard to become such a colossal jerk so quickly.Tommy: You know what Tommy Sherman's gonna do now? He's gonna go out onto the football field and check out his new goalpost. He's gonna read the plaque and think about all the people who admire him. But you wouldn't know anything about that. You're one of those "misery chicks," always moping about what a cruel world it is, making a big deal about it so people won't notice you're a loser.