To relieve Jake's stress, Helen suggests that the family goes on a camping trip. While Jake does seem to love the great outdoors (unlike either of his daughters), he nevertheless has a hard time letting go out of his anxiety and bad memories of camping with his father. What's worse, his attempt to gather berries for breakfast causes everyone but Daria to start acting insane(r than usual).A subplot involves Jane and Trent being forced to attend the Lane Family Reunion. Compared to their household, everyone else is quite normal, a bit critical, and way too perky for their tastes. They wind up stealing their aunt's rental car to drive to the airport and fly home a day early.
This episode provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Subtly invoked. The minute Helen passes out after babbling nonsense, the only person Quinn screams for is Daria. Which naturally turned out to be the appropriate course of action to take.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Most of the Lane Family either passive-aggressively patronize Jane and Trent, or just flat out act hostile and rude to them. Jane's grandma specifically gets her up close for the sake of screaming at her.
- Black Sheep: Apparently, Jane and Trent's branch are this for the extended Lane family.
- Chekhov's Gag: The siblings that Jane describes show up in a later episode.
- Everybody Must Get Stoned: The Morgendorffers, bar Daria, after they eat the berries.
- Fractured Fairy Tale / Grimmification: During the campfire stories, Daria tells a version of "Hansel and Gretel." The witch wins.Daria: So the witch tore Hansel's arm off, popped it in her mouth, said, "Hey, pretty good," and within minutes had devoured the rest of his body, leaving only the lower intestine for fear of bacteria. Gretel she decided she wanted to hold onto for a while, so she crammed her into the freezer the best she could.
- Quinn's story was a pretty straightforward version of "Cinderella," except that her outfit was so tacky!
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: This episode establishes that Jake had one (his father, who was a war veteran, tried to make Jake a man, but ended up traumatizing him), which will become a running theme.
- Horrible Camping Trip
- Limited Wardrobe: Subtly Lampshaded; Jane can be seen packing multiple versions of her trademark outfit.
- Mundane Ghost Story: The "scary stories" of Jake (the story of how a boy kept hearing water noises from inside his tent and how his father was missing, only to find that his dad was sitting alone at the campfire and drinking beer) and Quinn (tacky clothes).
- Right Behind Me: On the plane, Trent and Jane start making fun of their extended family, only to realize that one of their aunts is sitting right next to them.
- Screw Politeness Im A Senior: Jane's grandmother.Grandma (to Jane): WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: Helen's scary story was clearly going in this direction before Jake reminded her whom she was telling it to.