"I am a warrior. But I'm a girl, too!"
On their quest to the Northern Water Tribe, Aang decides its of vital importance that he ride Giant Koi Fish, a distraction which results in the gang being captured. Much to Sokka's surprise, however, the group who captured them was a troop of warrior women
. The sexism doesn't exactly make them sympathetic to letting the group go free, but it turns out that these are the Warriors of Kyoshi
, named after the previous Earth Avatar, and thus are eager to help the Avatar. Aang's fame goes to his head as he attempts to impress Katara, while Sokka learns a lesson or two about gender equality from the Kyoshi Warriors- in particular, their pretty leader Suki. However, news that the Avatar is at Kyoshi Island spreads, just inviting Zuko to come...
- Amazon Brigade: How else could you describe the Kyoshi Warriors?
- Answer Cut: When Aang says there is something about Kyoshi that makes him not want to leave, the camera pans to the right to reveal his giggling Groupie Brigade.
- Bilingual Bonus: Unagi means eel in Japanese
- Bullying a Dragon: Sokka does this while the Kyoshi warriors have him tied to a pole and surrounded.
Sokka: There's no way a bunch of girls took us down.
Suki: "A bunch of girls," huh? The unagi's going to eat well tonight.
- Character Development: Sokka learns not to be sexist.
- Chekhov's Gun: Aang uses the unagi, with its ability to spout water, to extinguish the flames of the burning village.
- Description Cut: Prince Zuko is trying to track down the Avatar.
Prince Zuko: How am I going to find the Avatar? He is clearly a master of evasive maneuvering.
Sokka: (cut to him talking to Aang) You have no idea where you're going, do you?
- Groupie Brigade: Aang gets one of these for being the Avatar.
- Mouth Cam: Aang swinging across the unagi's mouth.
- Off Model: Aang is hit bad by it while running from the unagi. Luckily, the animators soon got things under control and this never happened again.
- Paper Fan of Doom: No, seriously, those fans are dangerous. Based on real life Japanese weapons, as well.
- They don't sound very papery, either.
- Riding into the Sunset: Team Avatar, joined by the unagi.