Back to Recap Page.
On the island, Fyers orders a missile to be launched. Oliver cuts his bindings loose and attacks, but the missile is headed towards commercial airliner. Shado attempts to redirect it, but must fight off Fyers’ men, so Oliver has to finish connecting the reprogrammed guidance chip. When the missile returns and blows up the camp, Fyers has Shado at gunpoint. Oliver shoots Fyers in the neck with an arrow.
Oliver frees himself from Malcolm’s chains and, with Diggle’s help, escapes the building. Detective Lance brings Felicity into interrogation for her connection to the vigilante. The Hood calls Lance and warns him to evacuate the Glades. He lets Felicity go and is suspended for pushing the Hood’s agenda. At Verdant, Oliver alerts Tommy to their fathers’ plan, but Tommy does not believe him until his father later admits it’s the truth.
Moira holds a press conference to out Malcolm’s plan, which will take place tonight, and is afterwards arrested. Thea rushes to the Glades to save Roy, but Roy chooses to remain behind to help others. Having escaped the cops who came for him, Malcolm is found hiding behind a false wall by Oliver and Diggle, and they engage in a hood-on-hood battle. Oliver runs an arrow through his own and Malcolm’s chest to free himself, severely wounding himself and mortally wounding Malcolm.
After narrowing down the location of the device, Felicity coaches Lance on how to find and disarm it. Lance succeeds, only to find out there is another one at work. The wreckage of CNRI traps Laurel inside. Tommy sets her free, but is soon pinned down himself. Oliver rushes in and hovers over Tommy as Tommy dies.
Tropes applying to this Episode:
- Bomb Disposal: Quentin and Felicity disabling the Earthquake machine.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Moira uses it, Played for Drama
- Blatant Lies: Oh, Felicity.
Det. Lance: Not exactly a hardened criminal, are you.
Felicity: I'm not any kind of criminal.
Lance: What do you call computer hacking?
A hobby. beat
That... I do not engage in?
- Break Out the Museum Piece: Ollie uses the bow he used to kill Fyers in his duel versus Malcolm.
- The Bus Came Back: Joanna after leaving in "Burned"
- Call Back: The desperate student Oliver left beaten, bleeding, and bound in a cave because he didn't know him, couldn't trust him... he shows up again, one of Fyers's men, and the only one not in a balaclava (because he needs to be comprehensible over the radio). Oliver was right to leave him, and he's pissed that he was forced to make that choice.
- Crazy-Prepared: After the climax, Malcolm is bleeding to death, and the Markov device is deactivated. Why is he laughing? Because he has a second Markov device.
- Flat "What.": Played for Drama when Tommy hears Malcolm admitting his plan to destroy the Glades.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tommy is impaled on a rebar while saving Laurel from the collapsing CNRI.
- Also, on the Island Oliver chooses to save Shado than to take Fyer's offer of a rescue ship whisking him off the island.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Tommy who on top of being crushed and trapped is also fatally impaled by falling debris
- I Wished You Were Dead: Tommy states, in a fit of anger, that Ollie should have died in that island.
- You Should Have Died Instead: Inverted, as Tommy closes his eyes for the final time, Ollie cries that he should have been the one who died, not Tommy.
- Let Them Die Happy: Oliver assures Tommy that he didn't kill his father, letting him believe that his father was still ok.
- Meaningful Echo: During the "The Reason You Suck" Speech, Malcolm tells Oliver he keeps losing in their fights because he doesn't know what he's fighting for. At the end of the episode, Oliver tells him, "Thank you for teaching me what I'm fighting for, but my father taught me how." before killing him.
- Motive Rant: Malcolm shows his true colors to his son and explains the whole plan.
- Mythology Gag:
- Moira’s middle name or maiden name is “Dearden.” Dearden also happens to be Thea’s middle name. The second “Speedy” in the comics (with Roy Harper as the first) was “Mia Dearden.”
- Related to the above, Thea mentions that she must have "wicked aim" after taking out a thug in the Glades.
- There’s a reference to a station near Papp. George Papp was one of Green Arrow’s co-creators.
- Oh Crap: Det. Lance cuts the blue wire. There's a noise...
- Please Wake Up: At the end, Oliver weeps over the body of Tommy.
- Suddenly Shouting: Malcolm does this when Tommy tries to point out that he is willing to kill everyone in the Glades. Even the person he's talking to gets startled by this. This moment signals the beginning of his Villainous Breakdown.
- Spanner in the Works: Island Oliver, Lampshaded by Fyers.
Fyers: Amazing. A two year operation undone because a young playboy happened to wash up on the shore.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After beating him at the end of the previous episode, Malcolm has Oliver chained up and spends some time telling him how he sucks and that he can't stop what's going to happen at the beginning of this one. Oddly, given that he could have just killed him, and during the speech he apologizes for having to do this as well as explaining why, the speech is, in a very strange way, actually a Pet the Dog moment for him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Island!Ollie manages to shoot Fyers in the neck, while he's holding Shado hostage.
- True Companions: Team Arrow cements their companionship when they refuse to leave Ollie behind.
- Turn in Your Badge: After Lance goes to his Captain with Oliver's information about the Undertaking.
- Villainous Breakdown: Malcolm's begins when Tommy points out his mass murder, implicitly rejecting him, then escalates when Moira exposes him on live TV and continues through the episode, his Affably Evil facade destroyed.
- Wham Episode: Moira goes public with the Undertaking and is arrested for her part in it; Oliver kills Malcolm but is unable to completely stop the destruction of the Glades; Tommy manages to save Laurel from the collapsing CRNI building but is mortally wounded in the process; and in the island flashback, Oliver, Shado and Slade manage to stop Fyers' plan, destroying his base and killing him and his men.
- Wham Line:
- With My Hands Tied: Oliver kills two men using the very chain that was shackling him without unlocking it.