Playing With: Wide-Eyed Idealist
: A na´ve idealist in a Crapsack World
- Straight: Euphie believes that The Power of Love always triumphs and Rousseau Was Right, despite living in the vile heart of a Wretched Hive. And her idealism puts her on the risk of being broken.
- Euphie thinks she's Magical Girl who will bring peace to the world through The Power of Love, even as the universe is a poverty-stricken Orwellian dystopian twentiethworld shithole Wretched Hive where Humans Are Bastards, Aliens Are Bastards, Anyone Can Die, the government is a Dystopia ruled by Mega Corps on one side and a People's Republic of Tyranny ruled by Knights Templar on the other side, there are More Criminals Than Targets, the criminals are monsters, the police are worse, the citizens are either Gullible Lemmings or really apathetic waiting to be Cannon Fodder, the morality is black and black, God Is Evil, eternal torture is handed out like lollipops for little reason or none, and Yturtz, Supreme Prince of Agonies, Horror of a Thousand Maws, Harbinger of the Limitless Terrors, Dragon of Oblivion, Beast of the Screaming Abyss... (titles continue for another three pages) ...is razing her world. And her idealism causes her to end up tortured using every method possible in history and gang-raped in every hole in her body, if not worse.
- Euphie's life consists of everyday brutal torture and rape, and she lives in Room 101. She still believes the Power of Love will always be there to comfort her.
- Downplayed: Euphie is presented as The Idealist in her introduction, and believes that love and hope are found in most humans, but as the series progresses and shifts through the Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism she is willing to compromise and becomes the The Anti-Nihilist and the Knight in Sour Armor.
- Euphie is The Cutie and the Moe girl, or just a child. What do you expect?
- She has lived a very sheltered life.
- Euphie is an All-Loving Hero and believes that by treating others with respect it might, eventually, be returned.
- Inverted: Grumpy Bear
- Double Subverted: Unfortunately, this was just to Yank the Dog's Chain.
- Parodied: Euphie's idealism borders on Cloud Cuckoo Lander territory, and somehow retains her optimism and idealism even as she serves as The Chew Toy for every mishap around.
- Zig Zagged:
- Averted: Euphie's idealism approximately matches that of the world around her.
- Enforced: It's an Author Tract, and the author has no love of idealism.
- Lampshaded: "Can you even see the graffiti-covered tenements through your rose colored glasses?"
- Exploited: A Well-Intentioned Extremist or Manipulative Bastard recruits Euphie to his purposes.
- Defied: Euphie is an idealist in a cynical world, but she knows it and acts accordingly.
- Discussed: "She's too optimistic, I'm sure a spectacular roller coaster ride is waiting for her."
- Conversed: "Is that a Straw Optimist I'm seeing there?"
- Euphie's blind idealism makes her the Spanner in the Works when it's time for the heroes to Shoot the Dog.
- Euphie does her hardest to live up to the ideals she has, but the cruel reality and all of the torture done by those manipulative and ungrateful bastards makes it very hard for her. She becomes more and more cynical and disillusioned as time goes until she finally lose all of her idealism, regrets her idealism and reacts to it... by destroying/regretting everything she has worked for and resigning oneself in constant wangst.
- Euphie's blind idealism causes her to suffer from Black and White Insanity, and decides if the world does not fit her ideals, then she will make the world fit to her ideals... no matter what.
- Through hard work and determination, Euphie actually defeats The Big Bad with the The Power of Love and immediately goes to work with trying to build up the world...only to realize that without any common enemy to fight, her allies start to fight each other due to the power vacuum the big bad's death left. Euphie tries to make peace between them, reminding them of the straight of The Power of Love that helped them win...only to get laughed at, or ignored, or forced to join someone's side, or get killed. She maybe even consider replacing the power of love with the power of fear if she wants to unite her allies again.
- In an alternative to the above, Euphie instead outright annihilates those cynical towards her beliefs, believing that those who told her otherwise were right, all along albeit all too well.
Here's a link back to Wide-Eyed Idealist
. I know you'll make good use of it.