Playing With: Villains Out Shopping
: A villain having innocuous hobbies.
- Straight: When not doing evil, Emperor Evulz plays video games.
- Exaggerated: Emperor Evulz, when not pulling off some Evil Plan, is always seen playing video games.
- Downplayed: Emperor Evulz plays video games where the goal is to be as evil as possible.
- Punch Clock Villain.
- Emperor Evulz doesn't realize that he mixed up his evil plan with his grocery list.
- Despite being evil, Emperor Evulz is still a human being, and thus it's perfectly reasonable for him to have mundane interests, too!
- Subverted: Emperor Evulz's apparent merry-making is for the purpose of a simple reconnaissance mission.
- Double Subverted: But he also visits an arcade to play some video games during the mission.
- Parodied: We see an sequence of Emperor Evulz detailing his routine. After a lot of planning for his Evil Plan and committing atrocities, it ends on him playing a video game.
- Zig-Zagged: Emperor Evulz spends his free time playing video games...except we find out that he uses the game to contact his allies and set up many of his nefarious schemes...except sometimes, they really do just sit down and relax...which cements their alliance, and strengthens the ally's loyalties towards Emperor Evulz...not that he doesn't find it fun on its own.
- Averted: What Emperor Evulz does in his spare time is never shown.
- Enforced: The TV show is being sponsored by a game company. Someone has to be seen playing their upcoming video game at least once.
- Lampshaded: "In addition to being evil, I also enjoy playing the occasional video game."
- Invoked: Emperor Evulz notes that he can't do anything to further his evil plans today, so he might as well play video games.
- Exploited: Hero knows that Emperor Evulz is out shopping for video games every Monday so he uses video games at local store to smuggle a bug inside Evil Fortress.
- Discussed: Hiro asks his friends what they think Emperor Evulz does when he's not trying to conquer the world.
- Conversed: "Doesn't this Emperor Evulz guy have any hobbies?"
- Implied: Emperor Evulz can be seen with a shopping list and a videogame console within his lair, but he never uses them on-screen.
- This leads to a Very Special Episode about video game addiction.
- The video games Evulz plays are non-violent and thus, clearly have nothing to do with it.
- A lot of normal, well adjusted citizens play the same games that he did. Even if they did had an effect on him, it was probably very minor.
- Played For Laughs:
- Emperor Evulz has an extremely embarrassing hobby - like collecting Beanie Babies.
- The heroes wonder what evil atrocities he's doing now, cut to him playing video games in his mom's basement.
Back to Villains Out Shopping