Playing With: Real Men Eat Meat
Basic Trope: A truly manly character has a taste for meat.
Back to Real Men Eat Meat
- Straight: Bob has steak as his Trademark Favorite Food.
- Exaggerated: Every time we see Bob eating, it's from a large slab of meat.
- Downplayed: Bob enjoys steak, but he eats fruits and vegetables as well.
- When Bob was young, his mother made remarkably exquisite steak and that turned him on to meat for life.
- Bob's parents were strict vegans, and meat was a rare treat when his family wasn't present. Now that he's on his own, he can stuff himself with flesh any time he wants.
- Inverted: Bob is vegetarian/vegan, while Camp Gay Charles loves meat.
- Gender Inverted: Alice loves to eat steak.
- Bob announces how hungry he is, and then eats a salad at lunch.
- Bob and his fellow bikers walk into a diner and order salads.
- Double Subverted: But the salad has bacon and chicken in it.
- Parodied: Bob eats nothing but meat, subscribes to a meat-lover's magazine, is on a first-name basis with the local butcher, worships a T-bone steak, and lives in a house made of meat. Oh, and his wife wears a dress made of such.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Bob's diet is "normal" and he has no clear favorite food.
- Enforced: "We need to show that our character is manly. Real men don't eat salad."
- Lampshaded: "Bob sure loves his steak." "Come to think of it, has he ever eaten anything but meat?"
- Invoked: Bob orders a bacon double cheeseburger.
- Exploited: Alice sets up a Box-and-Stick Trap for Bob, and baits it with a raw steak.
- Bob believes that a meat-based diet is morally wrong and/or unhealthy, so he makes it a veggie burger with veggie bacon and soy cheese.
- "Real men don't give themselves scurvy."
- Discussed: "Bob is one manly man. He probably eats nothing but meat."
- Conversed: "He should see a nutritionist. An all-meat diet can't be healthy."
- Implied: Bob is often shown eating various meats, but never mentions his particular love of them.
- Deconstructed: Bob almost never consumes anything vegetarian or vegan, and as a result gets little of the beneficial nutrients provided by fruits and vegetables. His health declines dramatically as a result.
- Upon noting the risk of not having a balanced diet, Bob decides to eat more salad...but never without bacon bits, of course.
- Bob improves his diet and regains his health.
- Played For Laughs: Bob orders a 12-decker bacon-and-grilled-cheese sandwich, battered and fried.
- Played For Drama: Bob's Trademark Favorite Food is human meat, and his means of obtaining it are never mentioned.
Back to Real Men Eat Meat