Playing With: Brutal Honesty
: The truth is blunt and hurtful to others.
- Straight: Summer tells Danny how embarassing he is in his performance at skateboarding, but she's right.
- Everything Summer says to Danny is so harshly true that Danny breaks down into tears.
- Summer says to Danny a truth so hurtful that Danny suddenly dies.
- Awful Truth
- Downplayed: Summer is completely honest, but the truth itself isn't that harsh. Alternately, Danny is not easily shaken up.
- Inverted: Summer tells Danny how great he is in skateboarding, but this was a lie.
- Double Subverted: "... oh, my God. Not only are you horrible at skating, you're either massively gullible or self-deluded. ''I was being sarcastic!"
- Every word out of Summer's mouth leaves someone in tears. In fact, her inner monologue causes herself to break out into sobs.
- Summer's Brutal Honesty extends to her bedside manner.
- Zig Zagged: Summer alternates between brutal and gentle honesty, or between brutal honesty and bald faced lies.
- Averted: The truth is pleasant and harmless.
- Enforced: "We need to show the audience that Summer is a good person but doesn't worry about offending others."
- "Hey Summer, I hear there's a really harsh East German judge at the skating meet. I need your most horrifyingly honest opinion. Next to yours his will seem tame."
- "You can tell she's honest by the nasty tone on her voice."
- Invoked: Said East German judge wants to be seen as honest but harsh, and emulates Summer.
- Danny realizes Summer is too proud to actually lie, so he practices to the point she has nothing to criticize (or hides his mistakes expertly). He then goads her into giving grudging but actual (and not faint) praise.
- Summer uses this trope to rationalize her abusive jerkass behavior.
- Summer is always sensitive enough to realize when her honesty should be tempered, and is only brutally honest when Danny is being a jerkass or dense.
- "So what if you tell the blunt truth? That doesn't make you a good person."
- "Why would Danny ever keep Summer as a friend who is brutally honest is beyond my understanding."
- "So when Summer tells the hurtful truth, that automatically makes her a good person?"
- Conversed: "Can Summer actually say anything that isn't blunt in the next episode for once in her life?"
- Summer telling the uncomfortable truth has caused Danny to give her an uncomfortable truth of his own: she's is a jerk and doesn't deserve any friends because her truth has driven others away from her.
- Summer tells the brutal truth so much that others are unwilling and unable to believe it.
Back to the main page
, because this page is horrible. That is just me being honest.