Thoughts that need thinking like spring has been sprung
Fantasy helps all of us to think young
Everyone knows that penguins go formal
So who's there among us to say who is normal?
"Bats In My Belfry"
Napoleon XIV was the pseudonym of the American singer and songwriter Jerry Samuels (born 3 May 1938, New York). His novelty songs focus on mental illness. They're about as entertaining as they are creepy. They can be pretty creepy.
This musician features examples of:
- Answer Song: Josephine XV replied, "I'm Happy They Took You Away, Ha-Ha!". Meanwhile, the dog got his own response with "They Took You Away, I'm Glad, I'm Glad."
- Bestiality Is Depraved: "Let's Cuddle Up In a Security Blanket" is a love song to a cow.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: One interpretation of "The Explorer". The least disturbing, actually.
- Driven to Suicide: "Goofin' On the Job"... maybe.
- Laughing Mad. Many of his songs.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Every single thing he's ever done, with the possible exceptions of "Iowa Pot" and "The Explorer," and the definite exception of "Goofin' On The Job." The latter is sufficiently disturbing to him that he buried it in the middle of the CD release of his complete collection.
- Madness Mantra: ...Yes.
- Man Child: "I'm In Love With My Little Red Tricycle"
- Napoleon Delusion: Implied. After all, a man who calls himself Napoleon XIV writing novelty songs about insanity? Two songs, "Do the Napoleon" and "The Nuts In My Family Tree" explicitly reference this.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Inverted in "They're Coming to Get Me Again, Ha-Haaa!"
- Perspective Flip: "I'm Happy They Took You Away, Ha-Haa!" by Josephine XV.
- Psycho Psychologist: "Dr. Psyche, the Cut-Rate Head-shrinker."
- Ramping: An auditory variant: his voice gets higher and higher pitched on the chorus to "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" thanks to a variable-frequency oscillator, allowing him to gain a chipmunk voice without changing the tempo.
- Sanity Slippage Song: Probably all of them, but "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" takes the cake.
- Sdrawkcab Name: The original b-side to "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" was called "!aaaH-aH ,yawA eM ekaT oT gnimoC er'yehT" and credited to VIX Noelopan. It was in fact "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" played backwards.
- Sequel Song: "They're Coming to Get Me Again, Ha-Haaa!"
- Split Personality: "I live in a split level head"
- Word Salad Lyrics: "Bats in my Belfry". That quote up there is probably the most sensible lyrics in the whole song.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: ... Hee hee hah hah.
- Yandere: "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haa!"