Einstürzende Neubauten is a rather interesting industrial
group from Germany. Originally formed in 1980, they were a major influence on the experimental end of the genre, due to their extensive use of various non-musical objects as instruments
, often to the exclusion of conventional instruments. While always having a heavy emphasis on percussion and un-tuned sounds, Neubauten's music covers a fairly wide range of textures and styles, ranging from pulverising noise and ambient soundscapes to mechanistic dance tracks and understated ballads, their more recent albums being especially hard to classify.
Currently, the group consists of Blixa Bargeld, Alexander Hacke, N.U. Unruh, Jochen Arbeit, and Rudolf Moser.
Provides examples of:
- Bilingual Bonus: Bargeld has mentioned that many of the group's early lyrics rely heavily upon German-language puns and idioms which are functionally untranslatable; conversely, he does the same with the band's few English songs.
- Careful With That Axe:Blixa invoked this a lot in the old days.
- Contemptible Cover: The cover of "Haus der Lüge" features a rather obviously male horse ejaculating.
- Everything Is an Instrument: They often use thing like scrap metal, jet turbines, and other various things in their songs.
- Punny Name: A literal translation of the band's name would be "Collapsing New-Buildings". The name isn't meant to conjure up the image of intentionally destroying newly made buildings, however, but rather that of "new buildings" falling over. A Neubauten, for the non-German tropers, is specifically one of the cheaply-constructed "modern" buildings erected following 1945 in many German cities, which had an unfortunate reputation of being extremely unsound compared to the Altbauten (old-buildings), which were mostly destroyed after WWII. Their name attracted unwanted attention within two months of the band's formation thanks to the roof of Berlin's former city hall (one of the most famous Neubauten) collapsing, killing one person and injuring many others. Think of a hypothetical NYC based band which formed in July 2001 that called themselves "Planes Into Buildings", and you'll get a pretty decent idea of what the band had to deal with.