Manga: Your And My Secret
A comedy manga by Morinaga Ai, of My Heavenly Hockey Club
It stars a violent tomboy by the name of Momoi Nanako, and a shy boy by the name of Uehara Akira who has a crush on her. So far, normal enough. When Akira drops by her house to deliver some handouts from school, he gets mixed up in an experiment that Nanako's Mad Scientist
grandfather was performing on her
. When the smoke clears, they discover that Nanako and Akira have swapped bodies
. Of course, they also discover that the machine that did it is trashed, and it's going to be neither cheap nor quick to get it fixed... not that Nanako's grandfather seems to be in any hurry to work on it.
For a variety of reasons Akira isn't very happy with the situation, but Nanako decides to have a bit of fun with it while they wait for the bodyswap machine to be fixed. They keep it a secret from everyone they know, but such major changes in their personalities certainly don't go unnoticed... fortunately, everyone involved (aside from Akira) sees it as change for the better and don't ask questions.
It has been adapted into a live-action movie.
Provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Nanako is shown to be extraordinarily violent often reacting to situations with sudden beatings or forcing herself onto people. When she switched gender, she also takes up karate to learn how to fight well and becomes active in a wide array of physical activities.
- At one point, she even stops a pervert by chasing him, tackling him, and stripping him.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Akira and Nanako.
- May be a bit of an aversion as Akira and Nanako were both always attractive. However, it was their personalities that prevented their attractiveness from being noticed. When they switched genders, though, their respective personalities brought out their attractiveness.
- Belated Happy Ending: The original serialization has Akira and Nanako switched back again after an accident and ends with a Maybe Ever After where Senbongi promises he would take the place of Manzou and repair the now broken machine. When the ending was finally published in an independent volume, the author added an epilogue where Senbongi manages to fix the machine after seven years of hard work, and then finally reunites with Akira.
- Bridal Carry
- Nanako did this for Shiina when her stomach started hurting and Nanako takes her to the nurse.
- Akira also does this for Shiina when she sprains her ankle at Mouseland.
- Cut Short: Tokyopop, the manga company that distributed the English translation of the manga, went out of business in May 2011. Therefore, only 7 out of 8 volumes were released, leaving volume 8 untranslated and the whole English release unfinished.
- Dirty Old Man: Nanako's grandfather.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Senbongi may at first appear to be this, but he comes near to almost raping Akira several times.
- Double Standard: Everywhere. It doesn't get much more blatant than the entire cast preferring both of the leads in each other's bodies. Apparently, a vice for one gender is a virtue for the other.
- Ear Cleaning: Shiina did this once for Nanako's grandfather, whom he has a crush on.
- First Law of Gender Bending
- Initially, the primary reason Akira and Nanako can't switch back is because Nanako refuses to and because Manzou refuses to repair the machine to switch them back.
- When Akira finally convinces Manzou to repair it, Nanako discovers what happened, and sabotages everything by destroying it.
- Later on, a combination of Manzou, Nanako's parents, Senbongi, and Akira himself sabotages it. When Nanako's parents returns and decides to help Akira get his body back, everything falls apart at the pivotal moment because Senbongi and Nanako's father tries to stop it. Furthermore, Akira hesitates because it seems he's falling in love with Senbongi. Lastly, things wouldn't have worked anyway as it turns out Manzou built the machine he originally tried to build in the first place — a machine that shrinks things, not switch minds.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip
- From Bad to Worse: Akira.
- Akira is forced to turn into a gender he does not want and can not switch back because Nanako refuses to.
- It gets worse — Nanako's grandfather, Manzou, refuses to repair the broken machine used to switch their genders partially because he prefers a feminine Nanako, even if it's just Akira in her body. He also decides to take advantage of Akira's desperation to switch back and exploits him financially.
- It gets worse — Akira's childhood friend, Shinnosuke Senbongi, falls in love with him in Nanako's body and decides the best way to win his heart is by sexually harassing him and it is hinted that he even attempts to rape Akira a few times, but is interrupted.
- It gets worse — when Akira missed his family and sneaks over for a visit, he finds to his horror that his entire family vastly prefers Nanako over him. They describe Nanako as manlier, his sister Miu describes things as perfect, his father says he is proud, and his mother says she couldn't be any happier. They say all of this right in front of Akira and implies that they hadn't really liked the old him (in the case of Miu, she blatantly didn't like the old him).
- It gets worse — seeing that he lost his family, his childhood friend is a pervert, and the only person who knows his predicament, Nanako, doesn't care, Akira becomes extremely lonely and decides to attach himself to Senbongi, despite his repulsive behavior. In essence, he gives into an undesirable situation because he feels trapped and isolated.
- The author must have decided that Akira is treated poorly too because in later chapters: Senbongi loses the perverse behavior and actually becomes very gentlemanly and Akira even begins to fall in love with him. Nanako's parents returns and finds out the truth, but decides they love Akira very much begging him to stay with them with Nanako's father even becoming overprotective of him. Furthermore, Nanako hints in chapter 03 of volume 08 that Akira's parents might actually miss him.
- Gender-Bender Friendship: Akira in Nanako's body became fast friends with Shiina, who was rather surprised by her friend's drastic personality change but did not question too much about it.
- Jerkass: Obviously Nanako.
- She is introduced by having her smack a guy with her bag and follows that with her stealing Akira's newly purchased food and then repaying him less than what it costs.
- Arguably, the entire manga could not happen without her being a Jerkass. She and Akira only switch genders to begin with because when Akira went to her house to give her school notes, he discovers that her grandfather is experimenting on her with a machine and tries to stop it...only for her to suggest that her grandfather, Manzou, use him instead and she proceeds to help strap him to the machine. However, Manzou accidentally activates the machine too early affecting her too.
- This is in addition to the fact that they've only remained switched for so long because Nanako decides she likes the new situation and doesn't want to switch anymore regardless of Akira's feelings. She goes so far as to destroy the repaired machine that can switch them back.
- She is so bad that Akira, who is in love with her, refers to her as a devil and asks himself why he fell in love with her. At one point, Akira wishes he had fallen in love with the much kinder Makoto Shiina instead.
- Jumping the Gender Barrier: Nanako gets enamoured with her best friend Shiina fairly quickly after entering Akira's body.
- Akira, on the other hand, spends the majority of the series conflicted between his original crush on Nanako and his gradual feelings for Senbongi.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Akira is very much in love with Nanako even as she treats him like a second class. He recognizes the stupidity of his feelings for her, Senbongi even points out the foolishness in it, and Akira also wishes he had fallen for Shiina instead but he can't help himself.
- Love Dodecahedron
- In the beginning, Senbongi loves Akira who loves Nanako who loves Shiina.
- Later on, Akira begin to fall in love with Shiina and Senbongi even as he admits he is still in love with Nanako.
- After that, Nanako begins to act extremely overprotective towards Akira making Shiina think she is in love with Akira only to see Nanako and Senbongi become an 'unofficial' couple of the school. Nanako claims she doesn't want Akira messing up her body and she is using Senbongi as an undercover, but later chapters give hints that she may really be attracted to Akira and Senbongi is worried enough about the situation to try to convince Nanako to consummate the relationship with Shiina.
- Then Shiina and her brother, a new teacher in the school, begin to show attraction towards Akira.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : The thought crosses Akira's mind, but Nanako threatens to streak at school in his body if he does anything.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Akira and Nanako, initially. Once they're in each other's bodies they're just like a typical boy and girl.
- No Periods, Period: Averted, and one of the reasons Akira isn't too happy about being trapped in a girl's body.
- Nosebleed: Akira gets a few over Nanako's body ... while he's in it. A couple over Shiina, too.
- Second Law of Gender Bending
- Enjoyment is immediately obvious for Nanako from the start. Gaining a new physically advantageous body, she takes up training, karate, and even desires to have a body like a wrestler. She even goes so far as to start dating women and makes her own friend, Makoto Shiina, her official girlfriend.
- Akira does not enjoy the switch for a large variety of reasons. Later on, he begins to enjoy it much more when he begins to fall in love with Senbongi and when he begin to enjoy things much more as Nanako's parents return. The latter is primarily because it appears Nanako's parents is actually wealthy and their reappearance relieves Manzou's financial exploitation of Akira.
- The Unfair Sex: Nanako is quite insistent that Akira not do anything "perverted" in her body, despite not particularly wanting it back and doing anything she wants with his.
- Third Law of Gender Bending
- It is somewhat averted as Akira and Nanako already had personalities more befitting the opposite gender. Their personalities does become more pronounced with the switch, however, as Nanako takes up masculine activities and begins dating numerous women. Furthermore, Akira is even taught a so-called feminine trick and uses it to stop himself from losing his job.
- Tsundere: Miu Uehara.
- Is shown and is stated to treat Akira very poorly. She takes his food, despite that he is very willing to give her his food anyway, calls him useless, and generally mocks him as useless. However, she does a complete 180 when Nanako beats her down and threatens worse if she is ever rude again.
- Afterwards, Miu is shown to be extremely doting and has a bad case of heroic worship even going so far as to hint that she might be falling in love.