Manga: Warcraft: The Sunwell Trilogy
A manga series written by Richard Knaak in 2005, 2006 and 2007 set in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft. It chronicles the journeys of Anveena Teague and Kalecgos, both of whom play a role in the battle at Sunwell Plateau in World of Warcraft.It is part of the Warcraft Expanded Universe.
This manga series provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Baron Valimar Mordis.
- Arranged Marriage: Kalecgos and Tyrigosa are betrothed at the start of the manga. They break up, with Kalec going with Anveena and Tyri returning to the blue dragonflight.
- The Aragorn: Lor'themar Theron
- Badass: Sylvanas.
- Barrier Maiden/MacGuffin Girl: Anveena, who is really the Sunwell, a fount of pure magic formerly in the center of Quel'Thalas until the undead overran the place, in human form.
- Big Bad: Dar'Khan Drathir serves as this for the trilogy. Valimar Mordis is this for volume 2.
- Break the Cutie: "They were my parents! They were real!" Anveena breaks down sobbing after she learns the truth of her family.
- Came Back Wrong: Valimar Mordis, who was a compassionate human before his death.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Anveena becomes temporarily badass when she uses her powers to deep fry Dar'Khan's undead ass.
- The Cutie: Anveena.
- Dark Action Girl: Sylvanas.
- The Dragon: Trag Highmountain for Valimar Mordis. Groth is either this or The Lancer for Harkyn.
- Designated Victim: Anveena gets kidnapped twice in the series.
- Eyepatch of Power: Harkyn Grymstone.
- Fantastic Racism: It wouldn't be World of Warcraft without it.
- Heel Realisation: Harkyn Grymstone, when he found out that he was used by Dar'Khan. Trag Highmountain, when he realises that the Baron he once knew was dead and gone, and that what stood in the Baron's place was no better than the Scourge.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Harkyn Grymstone the dragon hunter, whose family was killed by a dragon.
- Interspecies Romance: Kalec falls in love with Anveena; he's a dragon, and she's an energy being. Jorad also falls in love with Tyri.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Jorad Mace.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Dar'Khan Drathir and Baron Valimar Mordis.
- The Quisling: Dar'Khan Drathir in the backstory; he's the one who allowed the Scourge to enter Quel'Thalas.
- The Paladin: Jorad Mace was formerly a member of the same order as Arthas, and still holds to their ideals for the most part.
- Perma Stubble: Jorad.
- The Pollyanna: Anveena again.
- The Starscream: Dar'Khan tried to betray Arthas just like he betrayed the High elves; he is immediately killed for it by the death knight.
- Stripperific: As per usual for Blizzard, the company that had to put a moratorium on fan art submissions mocking them for this, Anveena on the volume 1 cover art and Sylvanas in volume 3.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Anveena.