TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Manga: Vampire Doll
"There was once a vampire aristocrat who ruled the night in Europe. Amongst his dark powers were the abilities to control the beasts of the earth and call thunder from the sky. For years we struggled to destroy him by borrowing God's power. At last, we were able to seal his soul in a cross." So says the record of the exorcist Kyoeisai Yotobari.
Written and drawn by Erika Kari (who happens to like pretty boys in frilly clothes
), this manga is a hell of a lot more light-hearted than it seems from the opening quote. The manga revolves around Guilt-na-Zan, a vampire whose soul was sealed into a (female) wax doll and forced to become a servant to the descendant of the man who sealed him in the cross in the first place. Throw in a Death God
, evil spirits, and a bat-man, and watch the hijinks ensue.
This manga presents examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Most of the main male cast.
- Amusing Injuries: Kyoichi gets these all the time, thanks to being featured as the resident Butt Monkey.
- Bad Ass: Guilt-na-Zan when he fights giant creatures. Dune, at least when he was introduced. Kyoji and Kyoichi have their rare moments as well. Dante is this as well when he tries to protect Hugo.
- Bishōnen: Pretty much all the male characters in the series
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: They acknowledge how time passes differently in manga and out, comment on how the artist hasn't used a costume for a while, and sometimes even talk directly to readers. Come to think of it...
- Brilliant but Lazy: Kyoji, who often lounges around the house doing nothing, even though he has a HELL of a lot of talents.
- Brother-Sister Incest: At least, on Kyoji's part towards Tonae.
- Butt Monkey: Kyoichi tends to become this thanks to Kyoji. Vincent, on a smaller scale. Also, any and all "villains" will fill this role at one point or another.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Did you read the Bishōnen entry?
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Tonae. The girl's pretty oblivious to all the supernatural stuff that goes on. Vincent as well... sometimes.
- Cute Little Fangs: Guilt-Na has these.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Dune
- Defeat Means Friendship: Most, if not all, the people that Guilt-na-zan defeats.
- Depraved Homosexual: Those two hairdressers. Oh geez...
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Guilt-Na's regular maid outfit.
- Mr. Fanservice: ...Do I even have to explain why?
- First Law of Gender-Bending: Indeed, things do seem to follow this law. Subverted, however, in the very last chapter.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire: Guilt-na-Zan would be one, if not for the fact that he was turned into
- Gender Bender: Guilt-Na.
- Heel-Face Turn: Played for comedic effect, like everything else. Vincent in the very first volume. Fahrenheit in the fifth volume.
- Harmless Villain: Kyoichi. Just Kyoichi... poor guy.
- Hime Cut: Moegi.
- Idiot Ball: Kyoichi. Lampshaded more than once by his brother.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Everyone has these.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Tonae and Vincent. So much so that Dune will lose his energy if he tries to use his special power on them.
- Lampshade Hanging: Used quite a number of times, whether to try and correct Guilt-Na on how a maid should act, why Kyoichi is an idiot, or any other dumb situation.
- Love Triangle: Possible one between Shizuka, Dune, and Fahrenheit.
- Manipulative Bastard: Kyoji, to an INSANE degree.
- Mega Twintails: Guilt-Na's pigtails.
- Meido: Guilt-Na is technically one, but tends to try and shirk her duties. She gets pretty good at it by the end though.
- Mundane Utility: Although Guilt-Na was originally depressed that her ability to cast destructive magic has been replaced with the ability to conjure cakes and other confectioneries, as the series progresses she was shown perfecting her new abilities and she would use them whenever dessert is required.
- No Fourth Wall: There never was one. The characters all talk to the reader A LOT.
- Omake: And they're pretty funny, too.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Most of the female cast has worn one of these at least once.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Rapunzel Hair: Plenty. Guilt-Na, Kyoji, Kyochi, Kyoeisai, Tonae, Moegi, Beyonce, Dante...
- Real Men Wear Pink: Kyoji sews, make dolls, wears ruffles, and still manages to be extremely Bad Ass.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Kyoji at certain points.
- Sleep Mode Size: Dune takes the form of a teenage boy when he runs out of energy.
- Team Mom: Guilt-Na feels like this by the end of the series.
- Twin Telepathy: Kyoji and Kyoichi exhibits this occasionally.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods
- Villains Out Shopping: Or rather, just one villain. Poor Kyoichi, already a Butt Monkey, is discovered in regular clothes, just shopping regularly. Doesn't exactly add to the evil factor, now, does it?
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Moegi.
- Yaoi Guys: Dante and Hugo. Also, Aihara and Matsuzawa, two side characters who attend Tonae's high school.
- But only as long as Dune has recently sucked the nasty stuff out of them....