Hottest Aunt Ever!
: The goal of my research is to get a deeper understanding of "The Tale of Genji
", and for that, I need someone who understands what Prince Genji went through.
A modern-day re-imagining of The Tale of Genji
by Inaba Minori. Terumi Minamoto is a young man with a face pretty enough to make people think he is a girl
. During his middle school years, Terumi was bullied by women who were jealous of his face
and as a consequence, developed a fear of women, to the point of attending an all-boys high school to escape his trauma.
Prior to attending Shiun University, however, he decides to overcome this fear and become someone who can have sex with any woman he wants
but almost immediately after deciding this, his father informs him that he is remarrying and that since their apartment is only big enough for two people, Terumi needs to move out. Terumi's father arranges for him to move in for the time being with his aunt, Kaoruko Fujiwara.
Kaoruko just happens to be one of the most beautiful women in the university, who has done much literary work using The Tale of Genji
as a base, and is admired and respected by people of both genders. When Terumi arrives at her apartment, she quickly guesses that he was bullied due to his face and that he doesn't have any experience with women. Thinking it would be too boring for him to just lounge around the apartment she offers to help him get over his fear, in exchange of becoming her guinea pig for her research in her "Reverse Hikaru Genji Plan
Helping him have sex with 14 women shouldn't be too much trouble...right?
Minamoto-kun Monogatari contains general examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: Terumi tries to deny that this trope applies to him but the audience knows better. Men like Murakami and Konoe are less subtle about it. There are also all the men that gawk at Kaoruko, Aoi and Rokujou.
- All Women Are Lustful: Just because Terumi gets horny doesn't mean the women don't get horny too:
- Kaoruko regularly offers her body to Terumi to get him used to the idea that men aren't the only ones who have sex on their mind.
- Asahi reads perverted manga and masturbates to Terumi after her first sexual experience. Reading a erotic novel highlighting a relationship between cousins only reminds her of the ordeal.
- Aoi treats Terumi as a sex toy and mentions during their time together that her "switch" was turned on...
- Hanada is fearful of men but her time with Terumi has caused her to slowly get over that fear. The thought of Terumi touching her sexually gets her excited.
- Rokujou is really interested in Terumi and, like Asahi, masturbates to him, this time with a old middle school picture nearby.
- Tsukasa is excited at pursuing a forbidden relationship with Konoe and gets hot and bothered when Terumi stands up to her and gives her a steamy kiss.
- Tsukiko becomes giddy whenever she observes Terumi attempting to talk with women or is having struggles with his sexual tensions. Being a erotic novelist in training helps too.
- Cliff Hanger: While the series is a weekly manga, only 8 pages are published per chapter, 9 or 10 if the audience is lucky, as the author has no assistants to help her. But almost every chapter ends with a cliffhanger on something Terumi will or will not do.
- Coitus Ensues: Occurs several times throughout the story, and sometimes without warning. Terumi and his target can be talking and then next page might show him and the target making out with each other.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Happens quite often with most of the cast members when they're thinking about someone else; particularly, with the main character, Terumi.
- Demoted to Extra: Happens with each of the sex targets after their story arcs.
- Doomed by Canon: Discussed. Those who know the story of The Tale of Genji will know that Rokujou no Miyasudokoro goes on to kill two of her rivals out of love for Genji. Terumi makes that very same connection when Kaoruko brings up her Expy as the third target, and his reluctance makes Kaoruko change the target to Hanachirusato's Expy. Time will tell if Miya Rokujou, the fourth target, will follow suit here; already showing Yandere tendencies down to a tee.
- Expy: By the nature of the series, most major characters are to a greater or lesser extent Expies of characters from The Tale of Genji. Justified because Kaoruko is intentionally putting women in Terumi's path whose circumstances resemble those of characters from the Tale, who she almost certainly sought out for this purpose.
- The Faceless: Most men in this manga are like this since they only serve to be mindless idiots who can't help staring at sexy women. Konoe-sensei provides some plot but he too is faceless.
- Forceful Kiss: Terumi is becoming a master of this. Whenever something is not going his way or he can't repress his urges anymore, expect his target to be on the receiving end.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Similar to the Operation Jealousy trope below where an outsider is seen glaring at the current couple.
- Improbably Female Cast: Aside from the protagonist, Terumi, the only other prominent male character of the series so far is his recurring friend at the university and a teacher who has yet to actually show his face. Even Terumi's father, the plot-device that kicked him out of the house in the first place, hasn't been seen since the very first chapter.
- Luminescent Blush: Terumi is susceptible to this everytime he does something perverted or a girl says or does something to him that makes him feel happy. It's the same in reverse.
- Moment Killer: Often. Many of the chapter cliffhangers are "will Terumi finally make relationship progress and/or get laid?" and the answer in the following chapter is generally, "No." Usually because he loses control and goes too far, though sometimes other people or circumstances end up interrupting.
- Not So Different: Characters in the story to one another:
- Terumi and Asahi: Both are clueless when it comes to going on dates or having any sort of sexual experience.
- Terumi and Aoi: Both parties have complexes towards a parent; Terumi for his mother, Aoi for her father. As a result, both parties just want to be accepted and held for who they are.
- Terumi and Hanada: Both were originally shy when dealing with members of the opposite sex. They both get better but they're still not completely over it.
- Asahi and Aoi: Both meet each other and immediately think that they will not be able to get along due to their closeness with Terumi.
- Kaoruko and Tsukasa: Both are willing to use their bodies and charm to seduce and manipulate guys to do what they want.
- Terumi and Tsukasa: Both are somewhat twisted human beings who want to get into the pants of the opposite sex, regardless of circumstance. They even gave each other a Forceful Kiss at certain points of the story. Finally both had a kinky relationship with an authority figure.
- Terumi and Tsukiko: Both are perverts deep down and lets their imagination run away with them at times.
- Only Six Faces: Aoi looks a lot like Kaoruko with a haircut. Otherwise, most of the women in the series and Terumi have very similar rounded heads/faces.
- Also, Rokujou's yandere face resembles Tsukasa’s face.
- Operation Jealousy: A continuing theme to get someone to feel jealous of a current couple; particularly, anyone currently with Terumi.
- Setting Update: Invoked, kind-of. The whole plot is kick-started when Kaoruko decides to use Terumi as a guinea pig in her plan to recreate the circumstances of The Tale of Genji for her research.
- Sex Is Interesting: One of the major important plot elements that makes this story so enticing. Seeing Terumi grow as a character and him having to do fourteen different women of different ages, personality and background makes for an interesting manga.
- Shout-Out: After getting Terumi out of Rokujou's house, she advises her nephew to continue maintaining his teacher-student relationship with her... all while re-enacting the infamous "Yandere Trance" pose.
- Spit-Trail Kiss: A trope often seen in this manga; many of the women and Terumi love doing this to their respective partner.
- The Tease: Many attractive women in this manga love invoking this trope, especially to our main protagonist.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 111 reveals that Kaoruko had told Rokujou about the conquest even before she met Terumi again. Not only that, she seemingly sabotages Terumi's efforts in keeping Rokujou's yandere side dormant, blatantly telling her that Terumi doesn't love her. With that, her research has taken a grimmer turn to it.
- The following chapter softens the impact as Kaoruko explains her actions. Things could've taken a turn for the worse had she not interfered.