If you don't want to die, then point your finger at an animal that you think committed a worse crime than you.
Following the same principles as Doubt
is a horror manga written by Tonogai Yoshiki.
Hiro is an Ordinary High-School Student
who once had a secret crush on his childhood friend Hikari... except she was already dating his older brother Atsuya. One day, Hiro manipulated Atsuya's schedule so that he would have a chance to confess his feelings, a decision that had grave consequences when Atsuya is killed in a freak hit-and-run.
Two years later, Hiro is attacked by an unknown assailant and wakes up in a barren cell, his hands tied and a grotesque mask covering his face. He soon discovers that he, along with eight others, have been trapped within a ruined courthouse
and forced to play a game called "Judge". All nine players are guilty of some grievous sin in their past, and every twelve hours they must vote to execute one of their own until only four remain
Will the players find a way to work together until an escape route is found? Who can be trusted in a game where a single vote can be the difference between life and death? And just who or what is responsible for setting up this twisted game in the first place?
A live-action film
adaptation was released on November 2013. You can check out the first trailer here
This manga provides examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Ryuhei. At first he just seems to be a jerk, but as time goes on he becomes more and more malicious.
- Creepy Doll
- Does This Remind You Of Anything?: Saw, anyone?
- Driven to Suicide: Kazu.
- Education Papa: Hayato Takizawa has one of these.
- Expy: Rina Okamoto seems to be one of Rise Kujikawa.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Hiro's attempt to confess to Hikari leads to his brother Atsuya dying... and the creation of the game Judge.
- Hair-Raising Hare: Hiro's mask.
- Hikikomori: Nobuyuki.
- Karma Houdini: Hikari. Averted with Hiro.
- Killed Off for Real: So far Atsuya, the pig male, Nobuyuki (the bear), Kazu (the male cat), Ryuhei (the horse), Asami (the female cat), Miku (the female pig), Hayato (the lion), his father and Hiro.
- Love Confession: One led to Hikari realizing how much she cared about Atsuya. Hiro wanted to give one to Hikari, but it went horribly wrong.
- Malevolent Masked Men: See the picture above.
- Meganekko: Miku Sanada.
- Ms. Fanservice: Asami.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: If Ryuhei hadn't voted for Nobuyuki during the first Judgement, and had instead voted for himself like Hiro had originally planned (in order to force a nine-way tie), then every "tied" player would have had to kill each other until only one remained.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Hiro lying to his brother, which leads to him getting run over by a truck.
- Oblivious to Love: Hikari doesn't seem to pick up on just who Hiro keeps alluding to liking...
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Promotion to Parent: Atsuya, to Hiro.
- Seven Deadly Sins:
- Lion: Pride
- Rabbit: Envy
- Cat: Lust
- Bear: Sloth
- Pig: Gluttony
- Fox: Greed
- Horse: Wrath
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Hayato.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend
- Villain Protagonist: Hiro is one of the two masterminds behind the game.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Hiro.