An urban legend in Tokyo states that at midnight, a girl dressed as a lolita will appear and ask you one question. You mustn't answer this question, however, for if you do the girl will come to be your younger sister. She will say that she has finally found her big brother, and insinuate herself into every aspect of your life... until she finally gives you a "twisted" death.
Kazuki, a young college student living in a small apartment building, is taking out his trash one night when he sees a disheveled young woman dressed in lolita-style clothing sitting in the street by the neighborhood trash pile. Unnerved, he tries to ignore her and pass by, when she asks him a single question: "Do you have a younger sister?" Surprised, he answers that he does, before running off to the safety of his apartment. Passing it off as an isolated encounter with a strange woman, Kazuki decides to think nothing more of it.
But then he starts to see her more and more, and each time her behavior and appearance seem more unusual than the last. When he learns that she's been going through his trash and has even found a way into his apartment by passing herself off as his younger sister while he's at school, he begins to fear that she may even be dangerous. After hearing the legend of the "Strange Lolita", Kazuki becomes determined that he needs to protect himself by scaring the bizarre woman away once and for all. Unfortunately, the young man has no idea of the horrors that await him...Ibitsu
is a horror manga
drawn and written by Ryou Haruka. It was released in 2009 by publisher Square Enix
, and serialized in the manga magazine Young GanGan. The published volumes also came with two unrelated side stories: The Corridor Of Dolls
which is about a group of friends entering a haunted building to write their names on the Wall Of Romance and The Mysterious Tale Of The Editor
which is about a mangaka who is plagued by the strange demands of an equally strange editor.
Tropes present in Ibitsu include:
- Abandoned Hospital: When the group of friends hear about a sighting of the Strange Lolita near an abandoned hospital, they go to check it out in hopes they'd find something out about her. Fortunately, they do. It's also the Lolita's base.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Kazuki treats Hikari this way, though it's mostly due to her treating him somewhat like a child, coming into his house and cleaning his room, etc. He appreciates it though.
- Big Brother Bully: The Strange Lolita's older brother who regularly abused her, who killed their parents and then himself. Subverted, as he was another victim of the Strange Lolita.
- Knee-capping: When the Strange Lolita corners Hikari and a classmate in the gym after school one night, she takes the classmate out of the picture by smashing her kneecap with a sledgehammer.
- Madness Mantra: "Big brother. Big brother. Big brother. Big brother."
- Murder the Hypotenuse: The Lolita's solution to the fact that Kazuki already has a younger sister is to personally make sure that Hikari is taken out of Kazuki's life... permanently.
- Murder Suicide:
- How all of the Strange Lolita incidents were covered up.
- The Strange Lolita's older brother, who murdered their parents and then himself. Subverted, as this was, once again, a covered up version.
- Police Are Useless: There have been a lot of claims from people being attacked and stalked by a strange lolita, but the police have dismissed all of these claims as daydreaming.
- Potty Failure: Hikari pees herself when Strange Lolita eats an eyeball.
- Replacement Goldfish: The backstory The Corridor Of Dolls is that a doll maker tried to make a replacement doll for his dead wife before he died himself.
- Self Harm: The Strange Lolita hurts herself when she feels she isn't a good enough sister.
- Self-Made Orphan: The Strange Lolita's brother killed their parents and then himself.
- Serial Killer: Kazuki is horrified to learn, far too late of course, that he's not the first person approached in this manner. The others who became the Strange Lolita's "older brothers" were never heard from again.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Kazuki is dead and has been framed for the murders committed by the Strange Lolita, who lives on to continue looking for older brothers as an "urban legend".
- Stalker with a Crush: The "Strange Lolita", though she seems to be seeking more of a (albeit extremely twisted) brother-sister relationship than a romantic one.
- When It All Began: The Strange Lolita's abusive elder brother killing her parents. Subverted, as he was just another victim and the Lolita took over the sister's role.
- Yandere - In The Mysterious Tale Of The Editor the editor is yandere towards "Alice Yuu" a fictional character she created.
- Year X: The flashback to The Strange Lolita's past is set in 20XX.