Bokura ga Ita
(English title: We Were There
) is a Japanese romance manga by Yuki Obata, centering around the high school life of freshman girl, Nanami Takahashi. It was serialized in Betsucomi
, with the first tankoubon volume released on October 26, 2002. The series ended in its 70th chapter, published in February 2012, after several hiatuses.
The series is licensed for an English language release in North America by Viz Media
. It was adapted into a 26-episode television anime series by ArtLand which aired from July 3 to December 25, 2006. The episodes were released to nine Region 2 DVD volumes by Pony Canyon, with each volume containing three episodes, except the final volume which contained two. The first volume was released on October 4, 2006 and the last on June 6, 2007. A live action film adaptation divided the story into two parts released on March 17, 2012, and April 21, 2012.
In 2005, the manga won the Shogakukan Manga Award for shoujo.
This series contains examples of:
- Biting the Handkerchief: Every time Nana's abusive boyfriend makes her cry.
- Chick Magnet: Yano. Nanami, Nana, Yamamoto, and Aki all have had feelings for the guy.
- Class Representative: Nanami didn't want the job, sucks at it, and abuses her power.
- Credits Jukebox
- Domestic Abuser: Yano has a hard time trusting Nanami completely, displaying jealousy and possessiveness, even to the point of physically abusing her.
- Hopeless Suitor: Yuri towards Yano , Take towards Nanami.
- In the timeskip, Yano starts living with Yuri, but he isn't over Nanami.
- Likewise, Nanami starts dating Take after the timeskip, despite the fact that she isn't over Yano. However, when Take does propose to Nanami, she turns him down.
- Jerkass <-> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Yano, constantly going back-and-forth.
- Large Ham: Again, Yano fits this on occasion.
- The Mourning After: Part of the central concept, but the Yano/Nana relationship is more complicated than it first appears.
- Not So Stoic: Yano, yet again. This goes hand-in-hand with donning the Stepford Smile.
- Stepford Smiler Yano, from time to time.
- Time Skip: There's a five year time skip in the manga.