I flew upstream in a plane with pontoons, and landed on the Amazon above Belim without seeing a single person in a loincloth, although I saw many Michael Jordan T-shirts.
A Discredited Trope
from the days of the White Man's Burden
in works depicting deepest darkest Africa
, generally describing the moment before the Hollywood Natives
rise up and overrun the compound, or abduct the white woman for sacrifice
. Often indicated by the natives playing Jungle Drums
. The phrase
is said to go back to the 1933 film Island of Lost Souls
, in which Dr. Moreau says this of his half-human / half-beast creations, and has since become a stock phrase for trouble brewing in a group of people. Often a prelude to being Chased by Angry Natives
. Natives, like white villagers, may take up Torches and Pitchforks
when they get restless enough to form a mob.
- MAD once had an article Modern endings to classic movie lines. One of the lines featured was "The Natives Are Restless Tonight", cut to a disco filled with partying locals.
- There's a British film called Restless Natives, but it's about a clown and a gorilla robbing buses on a motorcycle.
- Parodied in The Goodies, set in South Africa where "Apart-Height" has replaced apartheid, with episode where a group of jockeys are planning an uprising; Tim observes that "the jockeys are restless tonight".
- In Doctor Who's "Inferno," a mineral slime from inside the earth's crust turns people exposed to it into homicidal werewolf-like Primords. At one point, a character (trapped in a building with them) says to the Doctor, "The natives are getting restless."
- A Victorian era hunter in "Ghostlight" comments that "The ladies are restless" during a catfight.
- The Cramps have a song called "The Natives Are Restless" on their 1981 album "Psychedelic Jungle".
- There's a song by (I think) Jimmy Buffett called "The Natives Are Restless Tonight" which is the singer warning people not to go outside, because... yeah".
- There was a collection of The Far Side entitled The Chickens Are Restless.
- One specific strip had a bunch of native tribesmen meeting outside their huts in the middle of the night with a caption like "And, hey, here comes N'Butu. Looks like none of us can get to sleep tonight!"
- Played straight in Starcraft II Wings Of Liberty single player campaign. After the Terran (human) forces land on the main Zerg (creepy crawly alien race) planet and make a temporal stronghold on it's surface, Tychus J. Findlay says the exact words implying the Zergs are preparing for massive counterattack.
- A modern variation is appears in Act of War, where the Task Force Talon is driving through London at the onset of a major summit, with thousands of protesters lining the streets. Jefferson even quotes the trope name word by word.
- In what may be a subversion, the crowd does not actually turn aggressive, but it is riled into panic by gunmen firing at the crowd.