Modern Day/Sci-Fi RPG Class Equivalents
As of today, shooters with RPG Elements
have slowly-but-surely became the norm. However, shooters and other gun-games like them can be difficult to make into RPGs without Functional Magic
, which is why there has to be a collection of equivalents to make-up for the lack of magic. Thankfully, there are two: Explosives such as grenades and rockets
, and healing items such as medkits and defibrillators. Therefore, when creating a shooter, developers have to take into account the following RPG-like shooter archetypes:
- Soldiers, who possess high HP and defense like the warrior
- Snipers, who are stealthy, agile, and precise like the rogue
- Sappers, who use explosives for AoE damage like the mage
- Medics, who heal and revive fallen teammates like the cleric
Sure, most games don't use medics, and instead have players resort to creating either Soldiers, Snipers, or Sappers. However, these four modern-day archetypes are strong bases for developers wishing to create an RPG in a modern-day or sci-fi setting.
- Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4
- Soldier: Support Class, wields light machine guns and can drop ammo packs.
- Sniper: Recon Class, wields sniper rifles and can designate targets, detect enemy movement, and create spawn beacons for allies.
- Sapper: Engineer Class, wields carbines/PD Ws, can repair friendly vehicles with blowtorch and destroy enemy vehicles with rocket launchers.
- Medic: Assault Class, wields assault rifles, can resurrect down allies with defibrillator, drop health packs, and carry a grenade launcher.
- Soldier: Brick, with some Sapper-capabilities namely with explosives
- Sniper: Mordecai, with some Medic-capabilities namely with his Bloodhawk bird
- Sapper: Lilith, with some Sniper-capabilities namely with her phase-walk
- Medic: Roland, with some Soldier-capabilities namely with his turrets
- Borderlands 2
- Soldier: Salvador, whose abilities focus on survivability. There's also Krieg, who focuses on close-range combat and dishing as much damage as he takes.
- Sniper: Zer0, whose abilities focus on precision and critical hits
- Sapper: Axton, whose abilities focus on being generally good at everything with some emphasis on explosive damage.
- Medic: Maya
- The Call of Duty Franchise's Weapons
- Soldier: Assault-Rifle, LMG, SMG, and Shotgun
- Sniper: Sniper-Rifle, Pistol, Machine-Pistol, and Melee-Knife
- Sapper: Lethal Grenade and Rocket/Grenade-Launcher
- Medic: Tactical Grenade and Riot Shield (Modern Warfare 2 and 3 only)
- d20 Modern Character Archetypes
- Soldier: Strong Hero and Tough Hero
- Sniper: Fast Hero
- Sapper: Smart Hero
- Medic: Dedicated Hero and Charismatic Hero
- Doom Pick-Up Items
- Soldier: Armor
- Sniper: Lightweight weapons, including fists, the handgun, the shotgun, and the chaingun
- Sapper: Heavyweight weapons, including the chainsaw, the rocket-launcher, the plasma-gun, and the BFG9000
- Medic: Medkits
- The Fallout Franchise's SPECIAL stats
- Soldier/Sapper: Strength and Endurance
- Sniper: Perception and Agility
- Medic: Intelligence and Charisma
- Miscellaneous: Luck
- The Left 4 Dead Franchise's Weapons and Items
- Soldier: Submachine Guns, Assault-Rifles, Shotguns, and the M60
- Sniper: Sniper-Rifles, Handguns, and Melee Weapons
- Sapper: Pipe-Bombs, Molotov Cocktails, Boomer Bile, and the Grenade Launcher
- Medic: Medkits, Pain Pills, Adrenaline Shots, and Defibrillators
- Mass Effect
- Player (Shepard) classes:
- Soldier: Soldier
- Sniper: Infiltrator
- Sapper: Adept and Engineer
- Medic: Sentinel
- Other: Vanguard
- Mass Effect 1 Squad
- Soldier: Ashley Williams and Urdnot Wrex
- Sniper: Garrus Vakarian
- Sapper: Kaidan Alenko and Liara T'Soni
- Medic: Tali'Zorah nar Rayya
- Mass Effect 2 Squad
- Soldier: Jacob Taylor, Grunt and Zaeed Massani
- Sniper: Garrus Vakarian, Thane Krios, Legion and Kasumi Goto
- Sapper: Miranda Lawson, Jack and Samara/Morinth
- Medic: Mordin Solus and Tali'Zorah vas Neema/Normandy
- Mass Effect 3 Squad
- Soldier: James Vega, Ashley Williams (if she's alive), Javik (who is more a Magic Knight variety)
- Sniper: Garrus Vakarian
- Sapper: Liara T'Soni, Kaidan Alenko (if he's alive), EDI
- Medic: Tali'Zora vas Normandy,
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker's Mother Base
- Soldier/Sniper: Soldiers sent to Outer-Ops missions
- Sapper/Medic: R&D, Intel, Mess Hall, and Med-Bay
- The Resident Evil Franchise
- Resident Evil
- Soldier: Chris Redfield
- Sniper: Barry Burton (minus the sniper rifle)
- Sapper: Jill Valentine
- Medic: Rebecca Chambers
- Resident Evil 2
- Soldier: Leon Scott Kennedy
- Sniper: Ada Wong (again, minus the sniper rifle)
- Sapper: Claire Redfield
- Medic: Sherry Birkin
- The Starcraft franchise
- Sniper/Medic: The Zerg; cheaper to produce (Medic), and can move much faster (Sniper)
- Balance: The Terran; neither as fast as the Zerg nor as strong as the Protoss
- Soldier/Sapper: The Protoss; possesses stronger technology (Soldier), and can use psionic spells (Sapper)
- Star Wars D20:
- Soldier: Soldier
- Sniper: Scoundrel and Scout
- Sapper: Force Adept and Jedi Guardian
- Medic: Jedi Consular
- Star Wars: The Old Republic:
- Soldier: Trooper (Republic) and Bounty Hunter (Sith)
- Sniper: Smuggler (Republic) and Imperial Agent (Sith)
- Sapper: Jedi Knight and Sith Inquisitor
- Medic: Jedi Consular
- Team Fortress 2
- Soldier: Soldier, Heavy, melee-loadout Demomen
- Sniper: Scout, Sniper, and Spy
- Sapper: Pyro and Demo
- Medic: Engineer and Medic
- Too Human
- Soldier: Berserker, Defender
- Sniper: Commando
- Sapper: Champion
- Medic: Bio Engineer
- Mongoose edition of Traveller: Doesn't use "classes" per se but has "careers" that determine starting skills
- Soldier: Army and Marines
- Sniper: Scouts
- Sapper: Navy
- Medic: Scholar (Physician specialty)
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron multiplayer custom characters. (The multiplayer classes from Transformers: War for Cybertron, from which these were revised, also fit the description but slightly less well.)
- Valkyria Chronicles series (as of Valkyria Chronicles III):
- Soldier: Shocktrooper, Armored Tech, and actual Swordsmen note .
- Sniper: Scout, Sniper.
- Sapper: Lancer (bazookamen/mortarmen).
- Medic: Engineer.
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown has four classes:
- Soldier: Assault (best armor and evasion skills + Short Range Shotgun)
- Sniper: Sniper (duh)
- Sapper: Heavy (More Dakka + bazooka)
- Medic: Support (while everyone can deploy Medikits, only this class has skills improving their efficiency)
- Warhammer 40,000:
- For Space Marines
- Soldier: Tactical and Assault Marines (armed with bolters, chainswords, meltaguns, flamers).
- Sniper: Scout Marines (Can be armed with sniper rifles).
- Sapper: Devastator Marines (armed with the heaviest guns) and Libraians (equivalent to mage).
- Medic: Apothecaries (Medics).
- Soldier: Warriors armed with both BFS and Arm Cannon.
- Sapper: Espers psychics equivalent to mages and Engineers who can bring out big guns, put on exo suits, and call on Attack Drone's.
- Sniper: Spellslingers who are a combination of a gunslinger and spellcaster, and the Stalkers who are the more melee oriented stealth class who favor hacking foes with their blades.
- Medic: Medics fill the role of both healer, as well as offensive support class.