One character gets chased by another character as they start running around a pole, a pillar, or even a statue. The chase continues around maybe three or four times, until after the fourth time, the one getting chased is nowhere to be found as the chaser is still running around in circles.
You can expect to see this trope show up in Comedy
or Western Animation
Related to Behind a Stick
. Compare Blind Alley
- Seen on Fantasia during the "Dance of the Hours" segment. Ben Ali Gator is chasing Hyacinth Hippo, who hides behind a column that is far too narrow for her to hide behind. Ben runs around the column a couple of times but can't seem to find her, until she comes from behind and tramples him.
- Ernest P. Worrel tries to pull this in Ernest Scared Stupid, but it flops when takes a moment to chuckle at his cleverness.
- Shows up countless times in nearly every incarnation of Scooby-Doo.
- The Gummi Bears episode, "A Gummi A Day Keeps The Doctor Away" had a scene where Gruffi and Tummi get chased by ogres while saving a kindly doctor from Duke Igthorn. The chase scene then leads to the two Gummis and the ogres running around the top part of the castle, until only the ogres are seen running around.
- Shows up in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "A Bird in the Hoof". Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy are chasing Princess Celestia's pet bird Philomena around a tree, and then she jumps up into the tree leaving the two ponies chasing nothing for a few amusing seconds.
- The Disney cartoon Alpine Climbers has Donald Duck chasing a baby goat around a rock, only for the goat to step right out and watch Donald go in circles. After the cartoon goes to somewhere else, it cuts back to Donald still going in circles, only by then, he's created a circular trench around the rock.