Frantic Object Concealment
Sometimes, life can be really tough. Whether it's receiving a special yet mushy gift from a loved one, or taking up a hobby that is deemed undignified for your well-being, or maybe even buying a childish item for yourself at the nearby convenience store.
Say that you're given a bouquet of flowers by someone who has a crush on you, or you've just decided taking up doing embroidery, or buying a wind-up toy frog. You're in the middle of doing your embarrassing hobby and what-not, when, uh-oh
! One of your friends is coming down the sidewalk, possibly on the verge of discovering the object that you have.
What's the best thing to do? Hide said object behind your person, with the most popular hiding place on your body being behind your back. However, if your True Companions
discover what you're hiding behind your back, Hilarity Ensues
To explain in the most precise matter, this is a Comedy
trope, in which a character hides his most treasured item or whatever behind his body. Sometimes, it works, and sometimes, it doesn't. Expect it to show up in some forms of media.
Anime and Manga
- Tubby did this twice in an episode of the Little Lulu anime; first with a bouquet of flowers that Lulu gave him earlier (which he promptly stomps flat in anger, once it's been discovered), and the second time with a doll wrapped up in a sweater that he attempted giving to Lulu.
- Done to hilarious effect in one Bleach filler when Ichigo attempts to hide his enormous butcher's knife of a sword behind his back. A good two feet stuck out above his head.
- I do remember reading a Digimon Frontier story on Fanfiction.net, where JP was making some pastries that he planned to give to Zoe as a gift. Once he hears Takuya, Koji, Tommy and Koichi at the door, JP quickly hides the pastries, using his "ungodly huge body". Unfortunately, it fails when his friends come in through the door.
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry, Ron, and Hermione all squeeze together to keep Snape from noticing that they have a jar of probably-illegal fire behind them to keep them warm. Unfortunately, he notices that they look guilty and comes over to punish them for something else.
- In Kamen Rider OOO, Dr. Maki quickly stuffs a Cous Coussier flyer into his pocket when Date comes into the lab. Date, however, notices and tries to see what it is. Rather than let him see, Dr. Maki eats the flyer.
- Peanuts once had a variant, where Linus made his blanket resemble a toy rabbit so Lucy wouldn't throw the blanket into the trash burner.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Rainbow Dash frantically conceals her book whenever her friends come in, as she doesn't want them to know that she actually loves reading.