Page-bottom layout change on the way. Details here.
Causes no change to editing/formatting of articles. This is just FYI.
aka: Everythings Spoonier With Spoons
You wake up in the morning and you look at your old spoon, and you say to yourself, "Mick, it's time to get yourself a new spoon." And you do.
No idea why, but spoons are funny somehow. Maybe it's because "spoon" belongs to the Inherently Funny Words
. Interestingly, the word "spoony" has nothing to do with actual spoons. - Even better than ordinary spoons are sporks
If you want to add examples, keep in mind that they should be at least somewhat funny. This trope isn't about "Spoons Exist.
" Or people named Spooner, or such.
No relation to a certain Spoony Bard
. Or that other Spoony.
(Needs a Better Description
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Bleach, Nnoitra's collar with a very unusually, very large back is popularly referred to by fans as his "big spoon."
- In the first episode of Kyou Kara Maou, Yuuri is perplexed by the spork he's expected to use to eat his dinner. It even gets a brief pan-up shot.
- In Occult Academy, Bunmei defeated the alien invaders with a spoon.
- Now many Pokémon fans will probably tell you Mewtwo is awesome. They'll probably tell you Mewtwo is the most badass creation ever! But Pokémon Special used this trope to give Mewtwo a new level of badass, with his big friggin' spoon.
- Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam.
- It's both funny and adorable when the title character of Shakugan no Shana angrily demands a spoon in the first episode. Watch it (looped for 10 minutes) here.
- "There is no spoon."
- My Goodness. What a treasure. What a legacy. Spoons! SPOONS! So many spoons, so little time.
- In The Room, Johnny inexplicably has a framed photograph of a spoon on his coffee table. This was so odd, that audience members have taken to bringing plastic spoons with them to shows and throwing them at the screen whenever it appears.
- Taken Up to Eleven in the online videogame remake, where an optional sidequest is to find all the spoons hidden throughout the city. Doing so unlocks an alternate ending where it's revealed that Johnny is from a race of spoon-obsessed aliens, who turn the Earth into a spoon.
- In Bruce Almighty, Bruce is sitting in a diner and realizing his new omnipotence. He parts his tomato soup like the red sea, does kinethesis with table items, then starts to asks for a spoon which suddenly comes out of his own mouth as he says the funny word. "Excuse me, I need a spooo-ulgh!"
- "I'm going to cut your heart out WITH A SPOON!"
- In The Mask of Zorro, Diego challenges Alejandro to a duel. Alejandro grabs his sword. Diego brandishes a spoon.
- After the initial gag/double-take, Diego explains that the only way Alejandro's going to get within striking distance of the man he wants vengeance on is by learning guile, subterfuge... and courtly table manners.
- In WALL•E, Wall-E finds a spork and spends a moment wondering if it belongs with his collection of spoons or forks, and then sets it down in between the two piles.
- At the end of The Hobbit, Bilbo suspects that his relative Lobelia Sackville-Baggins stole a number of his silver spoons. By the time of The Lord of the Rings, he hasn't forgotten, and his goodbye present to her is a bunch of silver spoons "for her very own". Lobelia isn't particularly amused. She still took the spoons though
- Edward Lear upped this trope with his "runcible spoon◊". And now you know.
- Unseen Academicals has the question "What is your favorite spoon?" as a parody of vapid questions asked by celebrity journalists.
- It also has, at the banquet, Vetinari picking up a spoon and apparently examining it with great care and deliberation as if it's an exotic artifact.
- In Hogfather, The Bursar is asked to converse with Hex, a Magi Tech super-computer, and one of the things he says is "I've got a spoon of my own, you know."
Live Action TV
- The Widget Series Téléchat sometimes had the ostrich (puppet) moderator Lola have a talk round with a fork and a spoon (also sapient).
- The Cardassians of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, a sort of evil totalitarian space version of old Japan with an extra helping of cold-blooded, are called "spoonheads" as a demeaning insult.
- In the Prison arc of My Name Is Earl, Jamal and Hector have broken up because Hector is worried about what their respective gangs will think of their hitherto Secret Relationship. The Black and Latino gangs go to war, and Jamal hands out weapons to his gang members. One of them is dismayed that he wound up with a spoon. Jamal slaps him on the shoulder and says, "Well, let's hope the other guy's got soup!", thus encouraging him.
- Kamen Rider Den-O invokes and then takes it right Up to Eleven. The spoon is critical to the DenLiner Owner's mealtime ritual, and later on we see a collection of... overly reimagined spoons. Scissor spoons. Nunchuck spoons. A twisted spoon intended as a pinky ring. It's that kind of show.
- Private Eye's parody of lifestyle columns, "Me and My Spoon".
- SPOON, definitely.
- And a lot of tropes with "spoon" in the title:
- "You spoony bard!"
- Chex Quest, a kid-friendly Doom Game Mod replaced the Doom Marines fists with a Spoon... that somehow teleports enimies away. It was supposed to sell cereal after all. Of course they had to replace the chainsaw too, so they added a spinning-bladed laser-infused spork.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim features a unique item called Ysgramor's Soup Spoon. It's a fork.
Calixto: Now, I know what you're thinking - that's not a spoon, it's a fork! No one can eat soup with a fork. Well, my friend, you did not know Ysgramor.
- In Rejected one clip begins with the statement "my spoon is too big!"
- In The Kids From Room 402, Polly is an immigrant obsessed with spoons. She's got a spoon collection, and makes a spoon exhibition for the science fair. She once started a spoon hospital.
- The fingerprint crook from The Amazing Worldof Gumball uses a spoon to threaten his victims.
- In an episode of Rocko's Modern Life ("Dear John"), Rocko's kitchen was destroyed by an errant falling satellite just days before a house party. He goes on a game show hoping to win a new kitchen and he wins a spoon. He is told that he'd have to compete in the show for the rest of the summer to win the whole kitchen.
- Also, there's Spoon Sports. They make custom-tuned cars. Apparently, they took their name from The Spoon, a particularly nasty (and spoon-shaped) curve on the old Suzuka Circuit.
- Ornate collectible spoons have been a common souvenir since the mid-19th century. No one is sure why.