open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The Necronomicon in Army of Darkness does this.
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore is an Academy Award-winning animated short film by William Joyce about a man who discovers an entire library of flying books, and becomes their friend and guardian.
- The haunted library in Ghostbusters has books moving themselves from shelf to shelf by levitation.
- In Terry Pratchett's Discworld, the Librarian of Unseen University makes it perfectly clear that if you want to consult the books on flying and levitation spells, you've got to catch them first. He will lend you the very long stepladders, however, as they're generally to be found flying around in the roofspace somewhere.
Live Action TV
- In Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, the book makes its exit at the end of almost every epidode by flapping off down the high-school's corridors.
- Dungeons & Dragons adventure OA7 Test of the Samurai. When the magical Book of Hsi is activated it flaps its pages and flies around.
- Magic The Gathering has this card.
- Call of Cthulhu supplement Dreamlands, adventure "The Land of Lost Dreams". While in the title place a PC may be hit on the back of the head by one of a flock of flying books. It's a book he had a chance to read but didn't, and had been trying to find again ever since.
- Epic Mickey has a level in the Lonesome Manor, where, as an extra mission, Mickey can chase down flying books and spray them with paint, gumming up their pages and making them fall out of the sky so they can be collected.
- Super Mario 64 has a few of these show up in the original Big Boo's Haunt
- In Banjo-Kazooie, Cheato, the big book of cheat codes hovers in place while flapping his pages.
- Some earlier versions of Harry Potter's video game have flying book present as enemies (they try to ram you out of certain platforms) and others serving as platforms.
- The haunted castle setting for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has a library with hostile flying books.
- The library chapter in Drawn: Dark Flight not only has books flying around, but one of the puzzles involves catching some of them with a butterfly net.
- Eternal Darkness: One of the Sanity effects in the Roivas mansion involves books in the library flying between the shelves.
- The Grimoires from Nier can fly.
- Secret of Mana has animated books that flutter around. They also flip their pages to cast spells.
- In RuneScape, flying books can be found in Daemonheim as minions of the feared libraromancer Lexicus Runewright.
- In the Sega CD game based on Bram Stokers Dracula, Dracula's castle's library has books which fly horizontally across the screen, as well as more which come towards you from the background, as obstacles.
- In Ghostbusters: The Video Game, "book bats" are minor mooks in the library level. It also has golems made from books, and the levitating books from the movie appear too.
- Axe Cop at one point features an evil flying book, who turns out to be a robot.
- The Christmas special The Story of Santa Claus has one, the somewhat-anthropomorphic flying book of Nostros, the wizard.
- The CGI opening of Amazing Stories featured this.